Livestock for 40G reef tank?

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like every fish I look into getting always have mixed reviews. I currently have 2 clownfish, a decent CUC, and LPS/softy corals. My tank is just over a month old. I have a YWM goby and pistol shrimp coming next week, but other than that don’t know what I want my next fish to be. I love the thought of a six line wrasse because of its utility, but they’re known to be aggressive, any other wrasse with similar traits to a six line?

I’ve also been looking at blennys. However those get confusing as well, I want to eventually get a lawnmower blenny for algae control, but would it work with a flame tail or Midas blenny that I could probably get sooner and not worry about starving due to lack of algae in a newer tank? I’ve also heard they can get aggressive towards smaller fish like gobies? Other than the fish mentioned I’m not even sure what to look at for livestock. Any recommendations?

D7AB4B23-7B2F-4DAC-8906-DB9F35A4FA9F.jpeg

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a midas in this tank. They only get agro towards similar fish.

Do you have, or have plans to get a refugium?
I’m trying to be as budget friendly as possible hence the HOB, I’ve heard of people using a second HOB filter as a refugium so that would be my plan if deemed necessary, I have an old marineland filter that was used in freshwater I could use, but currently have no intentions. My next upgrade was going to be a HOB skimmer if anything

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coris wrasse are pretty sweet I love mine right now she burrows right before lights go out
Interesting never looked into these, would be a perfect fit for what I’m looking for, but it seems like most except the yellow coris would out grow my tank, and if I have a Midas blenny and YWM goby, that might be a little too much yellow lol!

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Interesting never looked into these, would be a perfect fit for what I’m looking for, but it seems like most except the yellow coris would out grow my tank, and if I have a Midas blenny and YWM goby, that might be a little too much yellow lol!
One good thing about the wrasse it will keep pest under control

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of a 2nd HOB filter, I would recommend an HOB refugium. I have one for my 125 G, and it has a little over 3 G.
You can put some macro algae and a light on it and get extra Pods or some extra small rocks. They are not expensive.
I do not have any problem with my six line, I think it will depend of the tank mates and of when you add. it. Clown should not be threatened by a six line.
Blenny can be aggressive. With 40 G you have a limit on the type and number of fish you can add.

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of a 2nd HOB filter, I would recommend an HOB refugium. I have one for my 125 G, and it has a little over 3 G.
You can put some macro algae and a light on it and get extra Pods or some extra small rocks. They are not expensive.
I do not have any problem with my six line, I think it will depend of the tank mates and of when you add. it. Clown should not be threatened by a six line.
Blenny can be aggressive. With 40 G you have a limit on the type and number of fish you can add.
What would be the benefit to a refugium at this point? Or just something to keep in mind down the road? And I agree, tank size is making it a little difficult to narrow down my options. Are all blenny's aggressive or just certain types? Just not sure what other types of fish I could add, I don't like cardinalfish or fire fish, just seem boring.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
refugium can help keep nutrients down and also be a place for copepods to reproduce (nice if you want a mandarin goby down the line). I would probably do a refugium over a hob protein skimmer as hob skimmers are a bit more finicky to deal with and have more of a risk of overflowing onto the floor. This one seems like a pretty good option if you have room for it and are able to access it to trim down chaeto every few weeks

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the benefit to a refugium at this point? Or just something to keep in mind down the road? And I agree, tank size is making it a little difficult to narrow down my options. Are all blenny's aggressive or just certain types? Just not sure what other types of fish I could add, I don't like cardinalfish or fire fish, just seem boring.
Getting a healthy population of pods

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
refugium can help keep nutrients down and also be a place for copepods to reproduce (nice if you want a mandarin goby down the line). I would probably do a refugium over a hob protein skimmer as hob skimmers are a bit more finicky to deal with and have more of a risk of overflowing onto the floor. This one seems like a pretty good option if you have room for it and are able to access it to trim down chaeto every few weeks
Oh wow thank you for this, most affordable option I've seen by far. I'll be purchasing this

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the benefit to a refugium at this point? Or just something to keep in mind down the road?
You can keep pods, extra bio filter out of site and macro algae which can be useful down the road. Mine is an AquaMaxx. Price was good but mainly it was the right dimension for me. The refugium also give you a little bigger volume of water, not the skimmer, and the bigger the volume the better.
I gave up years ago on the skimmer, after it started to flood and leak all the time, and I do not regret it.
Of course you can choose to get the HOB refugium later, it was just a suggestion.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow thank you for this, most affordable option I've seen by far. I'll be purchasing this
havent used it but the dimensions and everything looked good. you should probably look around some more though if going that route just my honest opinion

sometimes you can find good deals on stuff like this with amazon, ebay, or even aliexpress

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back