Livestock ideas?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been eye balling some livestock for my jbj 45 but don’t know what’s a good idea...

The tank is mostly zoas, euphyllia, some softies, RBTA’s, and a few sticks. I currently have a clownfish and a lawnmower bleny. There are a few emerald crabs, a fighting conch, and a hand full of snails in the tank. I’m looking at:
Yellow coris wrasse
Carpenter’s flasher wrasse
Flame angel
Royal gramma
I’m open to suggestions. If possible, I’d like to keep the two wrasses in the tank. It’s packed with live rock with tons of swim space. The tank is full of micro fauna and pods. I have a screen top and auto feeder. I’d like to stick with fish that eat pellets so they can be sustained when I’m away.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flame angel gets a little big and aggressive for a 45 gallon, and is a potential risk for the zoas...and maybe with polyp extension on the sticks.

Royal gramma is a great choice.

Depending on dimensions, the wrasses could both work. A 3' length would be best.

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flame angel gets a little big and aggressive for a 45 gallon, and is a potential risk for the zoas...and maybe with polyp extension on the sticks.

Royal gramma is a great choice.

Depending on dimensions, the wrasses could both work. A 3' length would be best.
That’s what I was thinking for the angel but I know a few guys with the same tank that have one. It’s 26x21x19 so not quite 3’. I do have a 2” sand bed though for the coris.

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other ideas? I’m open to suggestions? I kind of wanted an active swimmer to add a bit more liveliness

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you on the active swimming part. The blenny perches, and the clowns do their typical bobbing up and down behavior.

There are smaller angels, like cherub and flame back. Some folks report them to be aggressive, but any angel will be aggressive in close quarters.

I will sound like a broken record here, and recommend looking at the possum wrasses for your tank size.

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you on the active swimming part. The blenny perches, and the clowns do their typical bobbing up and down behavior.

There are smaller angels, like cherub and flame back. Some folks report them to be aggressive, but any angel will be aggressive in close quarters.

I will sound like a broken record here, and recommend looking at the possum wrasses for your tank size.
It looks different but my lfs doesn’t usually have them so I’d have to pay $40 for shipping :(. Cherub angels and flame back Angels are usually at my lfs though... do you think they’d be as aggressive if they were smaller and I added them last?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back