Living with Lymphocystis

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all..

Does anybody else have fish that carry lymphocystis? My regal tang somehow contracted 2 years ago. I cleared up and it had a flare up a couple of days ago. Ive been feeding tons of nori, vitamin enriched foods, etc. My water is pristine. I guess something stressed it out. Last time I saw it had a flare up was a couple of years ago. My purple tang also carries it but his flare up is gone..

OP
OP
Clownreef

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read lots of material that says the virus can pop out again out of nowhere, probably due to stressors..

Ill try to snap a picture once lights are fully on.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also never had Lymphocystis return in a fish that previously had it. Not saying it isn't possible, but it must be pretty rare. Pics might help confirm it.

Jay

OP
OP
Clownreef

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely not ich because they would have dropped by now and I always thought it was lympho. I haven’t added fish in a VERY long time.

They look like little threads that come out of the skin. I remember this happened two years ago then they went away until like 4 days ago.
IMG_6025.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was lympho lol

it went away. For years lol

Yes, those are what I call "mucus plugs" - pretty common on hepatus tangs and sometimes other tangs. Seems to be caused by stress, but you can't always identify the stressor. They usually go away on their own. the only complicating factor (not in this case) is when they show up at the same time as ich does - then you cannot always tell which spots are mucus and which are ich.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah... I had never heard!!

Do you have any more info?

Here is a short write-up on them:

Idiopathic mucus plugs/cones: Fish sometimes develop excess mucus that excretes from the producing skin cells and rather than spreading out along the body, rises up as a cone or a plug. These presumable develop from some sort of skin irritation. If you do a skin scrape on them, all you see is mucus. They do show up on dark colored fish more often, probably because the contrast makes them easier to see. The cause(s) for this is unknown. In some cases, they just go away, in other cases, the fish dies - but in those cases, it is probable that there was a secondary issue. There may be some correlation between copper sulfate use, or a reaction to a previous skin infection. There is also some strong correlation between this issue and the species of fish; surgeonfish, tetras and Anabantids are all known to develop this. Many people misdiagnose these mucus plugs as Cryptocaryon or Lymphocystis, but the plug or cone shape to the mucus is diagnostic to some degree.

Jay

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a male bluethroat trigger that would have a flare up when I let my water quality slip or I added another fish that he would have angst with, probably 3 flare ups over several years.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back