LLS to control peristaltic pump for ATO?

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the new LLS can be used to control a peristaltic pump to be used as an ATO? If so, how?

I can't seem to find any information on this.

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Does anyone know if the new LLS can be used to control a peristaltic pump to be used as an ATO? If so, how?

I can't seem to find any information on this.
I’m waiting for my LLS I ordered this week…

I am afraid it will not have any programming aspects at all! Or Neptune hasn’t updated any new syntax for it in their manual…

I did read that Neptune does not recommend using an LLS for ATO because it is not quick enough for those types of use cases/situations.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m waiting for my LLS I ordered this week…

I am afraid it will not have any programming aspects at all! Or Neptune hasn’t updated any new syntax for it in their manual…

I did read that Neptune does not recommend using an LLS for ATO because it is not quick enough for those types of use cases/situations.
I watched a video posted by Neptune that stated it can be used as an ato but you shouldn't depend on it shutting off your pump since it takes 15 seconds to register water level. Neptune states that the low level can be used to activate your pump for a period of time instead of at particular level. So, on for 20 seconds, pause for 30, then on again after the sensor has been given enough time to register the water level.

I just don't know how to program the sensor. Any ideas?

About 44:25 into the video is where they talk about the use as an ATO.

Last edited:

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming that once it's plugged in you will see a level in inches. You would probably be able to use code something like

If (sensor name) >, <, inches then on or off.

Good to know about that 15 second delay. This might not be a great sensor for ato purposes but it might still be useful as a monitor.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming that once it's plugged in you will see a level in inches. You would probably be able to use code something like

If (sensor name) >, <, inches then on or off.

Good to know about that 15 second delay. This might not be a great sensor for ato purposes but it might still be useful as a monitor.
So, if I change the name of the sensor do I still use the original name for programming purposes?

Would this work?

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If LVLx1_4 > 6.5 Then ON
If LVLx1_4 on for 30 seconds Then off

Last edited:

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So, if I change the name of the sensor do I still use the original name for programming purposes?

Would this work?

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If LVLx1_4 > 6.5 Then ON
If LVLx1_4 on for 30 seconds Then off
Usually it is your name of the device..

I think maybe you type

If OUTPUT and space it will autocomplete all of your outputs and you should see your sensor name?...

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually it is your name of the device..

I think maybe you type

If OUTPUT and space it will autocomplete all of your outputs and you should see your sensor name?...
That's what I did and it filled in the LVLx1.4. I changed the name of the sensors when calibrating and I don't remember the original names.

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I actually just got a notification about a software update that was rolled out..

maybe the bolded line fixes something?

I got the first one that supported the new FMM sensors, but this is newer:

5.10_8F22 Release Notes
2022-08-22

This AOS version:

• Includes FMM module software version 24, with enhanced support for the recently announced new Liquid Level Sensors. This changes LLS calibration from a 2-point method to a three-point method.
  • Resolves a bug which caused logging of probe data to stop under certain conditions. This issue only affected the A3 Apex model; A2 Apexes and A3 Apex Pro were unaffected.

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I updated the software last night and did the calibration. My problem is I am not very familiar with the programming language, it is not intuitive for me.
I gotcha, yeah I have been messing with mine this weekend:

Im figuring out the programming for it... basically it would be something like this on the ATO PUMP:

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:10/00:60/00:00 Then ON
If RetLvl > 7 Then OFF

it will run the pump for 10 seconds potentially attempting every 60 seconds starting at midnight (24x7)

the 60 second delay is to give the lls a chance to post new height value

7" being my target

this code is untested at the moment so be careful lol

Let me know your findings

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I gotcha, yeah I have been messing with mine this weekend:

Im figuring out the programming for it... basically it would be something like this on the ATO PUMP:

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:10/00:60/00:00 Then ON
If RetLvl > 7 Then OFF

it will run the pump for 10 seconds potentially attempting every 60 seconds starting at midnight (24x7)

the 60 second delay is to give the lls a chance to post new height value

7" being my target

this code is untested at the moment so be careful lol

Let me know your findings
It needs a failsafe w/ a while statement and a virtual outlet though that if it ran X amount of times it would set it permanently off and alert you.. figuring the best way with that OSC command to do that

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am using a 1ml brs peristaltic pump located one floor below my tank. Here’s a program that has been working well so far:

Fallback OFF
If S-LOW < 6.5 Then ON
If S-LOW < 4.0 Then OFF
If S-LOW > 6.9 Then OFF
Defer 000:30 Then ON
Min Time 020:00 Then OFF
When On > 050:00 Then OFF

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So, I am using a 1ml brs peristaltic pump located one floor below my tank. Here’s a program that has been working well so far:

Fallback OFF
If S-LOW < 6.5 Then ON
If S-LOW < 4.0 Then OFF
If S-LOW > 6.9 Then OFF
Defer 000:30 Then ON
Min Time 020:00 Then OFF
When On > 050:00 Then OFF
I am finding the LLS to be very erratic, are you? I wish there was a new function to get the value of the Average over x minutes value....

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finding the LLS to be very erratic, are you? I wish there was a new function to get the value of the Average over x minutes value....
I have it programmed to have a range of roughly 1/2" to 3/4". The area where my return pump is relatively small, a fluctuation of an inch is less than a gallon. My tank is 156g and my sump has around 25g of water so the effect on SG is negligible.

The issue I have with the sensor is that is it susceptible to interference from my halides... I never had that issue with the pre 2016 Apex. There is a dip in the reading as soon as the halides come on.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back