Locating the source of micro bubbles...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a tank which is filled with micro bubbles.

I turned off and removed the protein skimmer from the sump, but still get micro bubbles.

Is it possible that one of the joints on the return plumbing is leaking and drawing up air as the water passes by the joint on its way back to the tank?

If not, what might be the cause?

Thank you,
Dom

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, if it's not the skimmer then another likely place to look is for pinhole leaks in the return plumbing. Also make sure that there is no whirlpool above the return pump because the pump is too close to the surface. Same thing with the powerheads. Good luck tracking it down!

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also be that the flow from your return is too high. If you have an adjustable pump, could try turning it down and see if that helps.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if it's not the skimmer then another likely place to look is for pinhole leaks in the return plumbing. Also make sure that there is no whirlpool above the return pump because the pump is too close to the surface. Same thing with the powerheads. Good luck tracking it down!

I have a pair of eFlux pumps that are about 6 inches below the water line. No whirlpool . And I have seen that when I had them closer to the surface.

Its pretty much a straight run from the pump to the return. But I will reseal and reassemble the plumbing in hope of eliminating the issue.

The pump on this tank is a Danger Mag 5. Bullet-proof pump. It was my first pump when I got in to the hobby (15 years). It has become a bit loud, probably due to a worn impeller. I have a new impeller in my inventory. I thought this may be the problem, but it is below the water line, so, I am at a loss to see how this could be the problem.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a tank which is filled with micro bubbles.

I turned off and removed the protein skimmer from the sump, but still get micro bubbles.

Is it possible that one of the joints on the return plumbing is leaking and drawing up air as the water passes by the joint on its way back to the tank?

If not, what might be the cause?

Thank you,
Dom
Wouldn't water leak out rather than air going in, since the water is at a positive pressure?
Holes can cause air leaks on the suction side of pumps in pools systems for example, where pumps are not always under water.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't water leak out rather than air going in, since the water is at a positive pressure?
Holes can cause air leaks on the suction side of pumps in pools systems for example, where pumps are not always under water.

Thought the same. Tried changing the impeller but no improvement.

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your water falling over a baffle into the return pump section? What powerheads in the tank and are they pulling air from the surface through a whirlpool? Also if you are using a random flow generator like the vca one on your return line they will draw air if too close to the surface.

Last edited:

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I can think of is the return pump getting air for just a second you wont see this unless you sit there and watch it. Next is the return nozzles close to the surface this also will be very random neither of these need to male a lot of bubbles because your pumps will multiply them in the tank.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back