Long Distance Move

HygienicMermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have recently made the decision to move about an hour and a half away from where I currently reside. I realize this isn't a terrible distance, but I am still nervous about moving my saltwater aquarium. I have a 49 gallon bowfront (salt) and a 150 gallon (fresh). I have plenty of experience moving the freshwater fish and have had no issues with that. However, I realize that most saltwater fish aren't nearly as hardy as African Cichlids.

What suggestions do you have for transporting and setting up a tank? How about the fish themselves? When I first got my aquarium, I let it cycle with just sand and water with nothing else in it for nearly two months. I am paranoid about the water parameters and don't want anything bad to happen. How can I expedite the set-up and cycle process?

I move in August, so I've got a bit of time. But I definitely want to start thinking about it and preparing now. Especially because I might have to move to a temporary place and do the move twice come August.

Help! I appreciate it all in advance.

-Ariel

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a plan and help arranged well in advance. Many folks have done it, including me. Type "Moving" in the search window and get reading.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish ship overnight to stores in a bag of half water half air. If you want you can put them in buckets and put a shot of prime in before hand. Or you can ask your lfs for bags. Same goes for coral (these are easier to bag).

You could go with new sand or (if the sand is clean) put the sand in a bucket with some water.

Rocks can go in bucket with water if you want to keep them as live as possible.

I can't really advise on how to move the tank itself.

If you are worried, put some prime in the tank before the fish go in or some microbacter xlm (or dr tims or fritz turbo start).

If these steps are not feasible, let me know.

OP
OP
HygienicMermaid

HygienicMermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both! I've done a little bit of research since posting this, and things seem to be making a bit more sense. I just worry that it'll be too much for them to move 2x within a month. Blaaaaaahhhh.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently made the decision to move about an hour and a half away from where I currently reside.

Great decision for your own safety....bc I heard on the Radio that 90% of all accidents happen within 2 miles of your home. So, I'm debating on moving at least 3 miles away.

With you moving an hour and half, you'll definitely be accident free!

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

There's all kind of past posts on.moving if you search within R2R

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back