long skirts

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you do to get long skirts on your zoas?I know some zoas have longer skirts than others.Like the pics here By Angie http://www.club-zoa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=341&start=30 (I hope you don't mind me using your pics as an example) look at how they extend. I have been told by a few people that it is because of high flow. I have high flow in one of my prop tanks and still can't get mine to extend like that.I love that look on zoas. Anyone have a answer please let me know.

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a Paly I had and lost a year or so ago. I kept it under high flow, and low light.

CloseUp.jpg

OP
OP
R

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is 2 zoas that I have that came in with long skirts.In both cases I think it was because of where it was collected and it might be the type of zoa???If you look at AngieN's zoas you can see they look alot like mine.I'm not sure if I am right on this or not. what do you think?

onemore006.jpg

may06051.jpg

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those in the second picture look like Caribbeans to me, and from what I have seen on the one I have gotten the skirts seem to be a little longer.

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lied

I was wrong. Here they are at the bottom of the tank. 1st pic puts them next to the powerhead in the background.

tank4306074.jpg

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually don't care much for the green non Zoanthus proto's, but those greens in the background are nice, da6d2003.

Flow has always been what makes mine change, too.

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, they are pretty wild. Should I be calling these and purple death "protos" now instead of palys?

No hijacking intended.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, Randy. I started the hijack.

Actually, I hear the current thought is that the genus Protopalythoa will be absorbed into Palythoa.

OP
OP
R

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gflat65 said:
Sorry, Randy. I started the hijack.

Actually, I hear the current thought is that the genus Protopalythoa will be absorbed into Palythoa.

Thats ok they are awesome.

more new info? When will this be public?

da6d2003 said:
Thanks, they are pretty wild. Should I be calling these and purple death "protos" now instead of palys?

No hijacking intended.

I would call them Nuclear Death.

limestro said:
Anyone know if the long skirt characteristic is reversible? I kinda dont like the long skirts.

Why?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
due to the immense number of variables that go into the reefing science, i believe the most accurate statement would be that it is a combination of light and flow (i.e. dim light and strong flow = longer skirts).

AngieN.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, mine seemed to have gotten longer skirts when I upgraded from PC to MH. The flow has always been med to high in most areas of the tank.

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of mine just have naturally longer skirts.
The ones on the left have always had long skirts while the others on the rock have always had short ones
122_2247.jpg

BTW da6d2003, WOW!! Those green palys are awesome!

Jon

OP
OP
R

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AngieN. said:
Actually, mine seemed to have gotten longer skirts when I upgraded from PC to MH. The flow has always been med to high in most areas of the tank.

I glad you poped in,what kind of flow do you have in your tank?I have almost 500 w of MH and 384 w of VHO actinic in my tank. I also have heavy flow.

jonbar1 said:
Some of mine just have naturally longer skirts.
The ones on the left have always had long skirts while the others on the rock have always had short ones
122_2247.jpg

BTW da6d2003, WOW!! Those green palys are awesome!

Jon

see that is what I am talking about I have some that look the same as yours.Mine look more whit/blue in the center only because the amount of actinics on that tank.They came in with the orange ones I posted.

july06023.jpg

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing that long skirts are just a sign of a lot of growth. And growth can be helped along by increased flow, nutrients, and light.

I know that my zoas that were getting starved of any of those began to shrink, and the skirts shortened considerably when that happened.

AngieN.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy said:
I glad you poped in,what kind of flow do you have in your tank?I have almost 500 w of MH and 384 w of VHO actinic in my tank. I also have heavy flow.

As far as flow, I'm using 3 PH pointed toward one another (2 MJ 900 and 1 MJ 600). I also have a hob filter and hob skimmer. My lighting is a single 250w Hamilton 14k DE pendant, upgraded from a 96w PC powerquad.

minibowmatt

2 zoos for me, 1 for you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always attirbuted long skirts to heavy flow.. I have high lighting on my tanks, and still get long skirts...

Back