Long spine sea urchin based tank.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up today and decided it was Sunday and for the fun of it, I’ve mastered to keep jellyfish successfully as the hardest to maintain due to their Fragile and sensitive water chemistry for over 2 years. I went ahead and bought a used tideline at the my local LFS store and bought their one and only long spine sea urchin. Funny to say the least I wanted another challenge on. Game on

What do you all think.!?

Of course I’ll mention that he is in a very deep blue lights spectrum, and on white just for the photo.

And if so Anybody else have any future tips if you have one?!

So far already destroying the rock with algae on it. I’m sure nori is something I might plan to feed him.

IMG_1338.jpeg

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love unique challenges so I am cheering for you!!!

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I you're anywhere Northern NJ, I have two humongous Diadema Sea Urchins that you can pickup for nothing, nada, zilch, etc.,..,

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love long spine urchins. I lost this guy last week, I had him for about 12 years. I didn't have to feed him as my tank is very old but he did enjoy a clam occasionally. I guess he didn't know he was a Vegan. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

You can see the piece of clam here

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine for about 10 years. I recently shut down my 220 and relocated all the livestock and tank to another home. Hope its doing well.

They are pretty hardy. Been through alot of ups and downs over the years and always made it through. Even lost most of its spines a couple of times but grew them back.

Careful of the spiked barbs, very painful. Like fish hooks, they wont come out.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up today and decided it was Sunday and for the fun of it, I’ve mastered to keep jellyfish successfully as the hardest to maintain due to their Fragile and sensitive water chemistry for over 2 years. I went ahead and bought a used tideline at the my local LFS store and bought their one and only long spine sea urchin. Funny to say the least I wanted another challenge on. Game on

What do you all think.!?

Of course I’ll mention that he is in a very deep blue lights spectrum, and on white just for the photo.

And if so Anybody else have any future tips if you have one?!

So far already destroying the rock with algae on it. I’m sure nori is something I might plan to feed him.

IMG_1338.jpeg
Following along!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back