Long story short, what to do

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does dosing stressguard help before dosing??
No, do not use any thing that claims to help with ammonia when using copper. It will make the copper toxic.
05e6fe42e861549b43e1e0bbfb82bdd6.jpg

OP
OP
N

ninjastar310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure that I have brook in my tank and Ive been dosing ich x daily and dosed copper safe over 4 days to 1-2ppm. Everyone is eating good and doing great but the orange spot rabbit fish started to develop minior white spots on him and the cardinal who hasnt been eatting has been moving but has yet to be able to catch food though.

-Now my question is how long should I dose ich x aka formulin?

The reason why I think its brook is because I bought 2 clowns and within a couple days the male was found on the filter and then the next day the female develop what look like massive ich in the morning and then when I got home she was gone. The clowns were doing good and eating and then bam.

OP
OP
N

ninjastar310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That, I don't know, as I've never tried to work with "Ich-X", and am unfamiliar with it.

I've only been able to verify that Formalin-MS and Quick Cure contains 37% formaldehyde (i.e. full formalin). Other companies I've reached out to about their "formalin product" have been uncooperative/unresponsive.

OP
OP
N

ninjastar310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only been able to verify that Formalin-MS and Quick Cure contains 37% formaldehyde (i.e. full formalin). Other companies I've reached out to about their "formalin product" have been uncooperative/unresponsive.

So does that mean ich x is really in-effective when following the directions on the bottle?? Cause at the current moment I does copper safe and it is testing at 2ppm and ich x every 24hr.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does that mean ich x is really in-effective when following the directions on the bottle?? Cause at the current moment I does copper safe and it is testing at 2ppm and ich x every 24hr.

In actuality, formalin is effective even in small concentrations. So if you're trying to eradicate brook by using Ich-X, odds are you are succeeding.

OP
OP
N

ninjastar310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In actuality, formalin is effective even in small concentrations. So if you're trying to eradicate brook by using Ich-X, odds are you are succeeding.

So even dosing ich-x every 24hr is still good but now the question is now how long to know if it eradicated everything??

Also I've read that the propper dose of copper safe is actually a little bit lower to get the theraputic level and that the api test kit also test higher than it does. Now my question is if the api test kit shows its at 2ppm but lower that 4ppm at the proper dose, does that mean Im good??

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even dosing ich-x every 24hr is still good but now the question is now how long to know if it eradicated everything??

Also I've read that the propper dose of copper safe is actually a little bit lower to get the theraputic level and that the api test kit also test higher than it does. Now my question is if the api test kit shows its at 2ppm but lower that 4ppm at the proper dose, does that mean Im good??

Understand we're making a lot of assumptions here, but formalin dosed in-tank typically eliminates all parasites with a direct life cycle in just a few days.

IME; so long as the API shows you're at 2ppm w/Coppersafe, you are good to go. I wouldn't go much higher than that.

OP
OP
N

ninjastar310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand we're making a lot of assumptions here, but formalin dosed in-tank typically eliminates all parasites with a direct life cycle in just a few days.

IME; so long as the API shows you're at 2ppm w/Coppersafe, you are good to go. I wouldn't go much higher than that.

Is that under the assumption at full strength or any sort of percentage??

Too much reading with a lot of confusion.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that under the assumption at full strength or any sort of percentage??

The assumption that Ich-X contains enough formaldehyde to be useful. Only 37% formaldehyde has been studied. Concentrations lower than that have worked according to anecdotal evidence, but just how diluted can formaldehyde be and still be effective?

OP
OP
N

ninjastar310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The assumption that Ich-X contains enough formaldehyde to be useful. Only 37% formaldehyde has been studied. Concentrations lower than that have worked according to anecdotal evidence, but just how diluted can formaldehyde be and still be effective?
water, formaldehyde (<5%), methanol (<2%), malachite green chloride (<0.1%)

OP
OP
N

ninjastar310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how long would I have to dose ich-x??

Also I was wondering does having a proper size uv help shorten the fallow period??

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how long would I have to dose ich-x??

Also I was wondering does having a proper size uv help shorten the fallow period??

Assuming <5% formaldehyde is still effective, I would dose 5mL per 10 gallons every 24 hours.

Running a UV on a DT is not guaranteed to shorten the fallow period. Best to go the full 76 days.

OP
OP
N

ninjastar310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming <5% formaldehyde is still effective, I would dose 5mL per 10 gallons every 24 hours.

Running a UV on a DT is not guaranteed to shorten the fallow period. Best to go the full 76 days.

But thats too long =(

So how long should Idose ich x??

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back