Long story short, what to do

ninjastar310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have one question.I had a couple problems of fish gone missing and dieing on me for the past couple months but now everything looks stable and my question now is.

-Does my tank have to be fallow for 3 months in order to be sure that their isnt any velvet or ich in my system or can I leave them their for the 3 months (add a uv) and just monitor it?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV will help keep ich and velvet free swimmers' numbers down, but will not eradicate while there are fish in the tank.

How do meds manage to eradicate, while UV doesn't? Meds are everywhere in the tank, simultaneously, while UV and diatom filters wait for parasites to come to them.

Welcome to Reef2Reef, by the way!

~Bruce

OP
OP
N

ninjastar310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV will help keep ich and velvet free swimmers' numbers down, but will not eradicate while there are fish in the tank.

How do meds manage to eradicate, while UV doesn't? Meds are everywhere in the tank, simultaneously, while UV and diatom filters wait for parasites to come to them.

Welcome to Reef2Reef, by the way!

~Bruce

So even if the uv kills the free swimers and after the 3 month waiting period and the remaining fish are still healthy their is still a chance that their still could be something in the system??

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely.

Fish will develop a temporary resistance / immunity to parasites they encounter on a regular basis, which will keep parasite populations low in your tank - possibly low enough for you not to notice. Add a new fish though, or some stress event, such as a malfunctioning heater, and the disease could gain the upper hand.

~Bruce

OP
OP
N

ninjastar310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dangit and I was thinking I could get away without having to catch all the fish in the dt =(

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everything @Maritimer has said and agree that velvet and ich will remain with a UV sterilizer.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you think of ich or velvet? Did you see symptoms before the fish went missing?

OP
OP
N

ninjastar310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ya a majority of the fish went missing but the only ones I can see is the listed following

Salfin-Lost of color, lack of swiming, stayed hidden, was found side ways and moved to qt.....and died what look like velvet(Live for a couple months)
Powder Brown/blue- Went missing(Lived for a couple months
Male clown-hard breathing, lost of color, lazying swimming, easilly caught and qt and died from what looks like brook(Lived for 1 week or so)
Female clown- only found cause goby found the body in his hole(Lived 1 week or so)
Convict tang-just found sideways and dead(Lived 1 week or so)
Kole tang-Missing (Lived 1 week or so)
Flame angle-Missing (Lived for a couple months then just went missing)

And the list goes on........I know and will start qt but the funny thing is and what doesnt makes sense is that they look good and eat good and just went missing and only till recently that I see some signs of bacteria or virus infection........And that my green star of death was killing all of them.

OP
OP
N

ninjastar310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the only fish remain and caught and transfered to 29gal are the following

-pajama cardinal
-six line wrasse
-hoovens wrasse
-Orange spot rabbit fish
-goldhead goby
-dimond goby

Is this okay for a 29gal with a sponge filter and marineland 350 hob with 4 bricks of I think is ceramic media thats been in my tank for the past 4yrs

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the only fish remain and caught and transfered to 29gal are the following

-pajama cardinal
-six line wrasse
-hoovens wrasse
-Orange spot rabbit fish
-goldhead goby
-dimond goby

Is this okay for a 29gal with a sponge filter and marineland 350 hob with 4 bricks of I think is ceramic media thats been in my tank for the past 4yrs
Yes, probably. Get an ammonia badge and monitor it closely for anything other than “yellow”. I’m a huge believer in dr tims bacteria in a bottle or biospira, it’ll go in every QT tank from this point forward for me, it was like magic!

Is it okay to add a bowl of sand for my wrasse and goby??

Yes

OP
OP
N

ninjastar310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it that Im reading mixed reviews on it if I also treat the tank with copper??

Yes, probably. Get an ammonia badge and monitor it closely for anything other than “yellow”. I’m a huge believer in dr tims bacteria in a bottle or biospira, it’ll go in every QT tank from this point forward for me, it was like magic!

Yes

Had the ammonia badge order last week and was installed. But now my question is, how would I go about doing water changes with tap water and adding prime if the system is treated with copper??

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it that Im reading mixed reviews on it if I also treat the tank with copper??

Had the ammonia badge order last week and was installed. But now my question is, how would I go about doing water changes with tap water and adding prime if the system is treated with copper??
I’d recommend using RO for water changes. Ensure copper is mixed in to the new water prior.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
N

ninjastar310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the following fish listed, what would be best to treat them with for the chance of them carrying ich, brook, or velvet??

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back