Long story short

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bad news. Pump shorted, GFI tripped, tank crashed, lost my fish except maroon clown, did the tank move that I was hoping to put off til fall.
The good news. Most of the xenia didn't make it, the starfish plague has abated
The current bad news. Invasion of dinos I think. They are brown filamentous strands covered with tiny bubbles. Running carbon and Kent phosphate sponge. Any insight on how to clean this up?

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bad news. Pump shorted, GFI tripped, tank crashed, lost my fish except maroon clown, did the tank move that I was hoping to put off til fall.
The good news. Most of the xenia didn't make it, the starfish plague has abated
The current bad news. Invasion of dinos I think. They are brown filamentous strands covered with tiny bubbles. Running carbon and Kent phosphate sponge. Any insight on how to clean this up?

Sorry for your loss. The algae invasion is most likely from all the death in the tank. Your PO4 is most likely high. If you have a GFO, run it. I would also do a lights out for a couple of days to get rid of the algae.

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into dosing hydrogen peroxide. I battled Dino's successfully by dosing 1 ml per 10 gallons twice daily for around two weeks. No ill effects on fish, corals or invertebrates. Make sure that you run carbon.

Just my experience, but if you look it up you find many others who had success.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into dosing hydrogen peroxide. I battled Dino's successfully by dosing 1 ml per 10 gallons twice daily for around two weeks. No ill effects on fish, corals or invertebrates. Make sure that you run carbon.

Just my experience, but if you look it up you find many others who had success.
Why wouldn't you do this? There nothing to lose. Sorry for your crash. When things stable up, come to a meeting and I'll get you some frags. If we ever have another meeting that is...

The bonus to doing the peroxide now is you'll be free of all nuisance algae, and can keep it out by dipping all new additions.

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words guys. Triggreef I do appreciate your offer. Unfortunately there is a lot going on right now which makes getting away really difficult. I am definitely going to read up on peroxide dosing. Right now after about 12 hours of phosphate sponge and lights off overnight it has improved. I'll keep the lights off today and see how things go. I'll try to keep it simple right now, there are so many different variables at play. New source of RO water is a well with low pressure so the new water I added wasn't the greatest. I'll add a booster pump to hopefully improve quality and output. I'll start to rebuild the cleanup crew (not sure if the pods survived the crash}. Even though I don't miss the starfish, they still must have done something useful in the tank. PS I did spot one so they will be back. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again Kurt

Wesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your crash

I have DC return pump on separate non GFI breaker. DC pumps have separate power supply and they run on safe 24v. Rest of equipment is connected to GFI. If something fails, least return pump is still running

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its amazing what 2 days in the darkness will do, except for a little peeking here and there. With the lights off and running the phosphate sponge things are looking so much better. Now I'll wait and see what happens in the next few days, hopefully it won't all return.

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish is starting to tick me off. Before the tank crashed he was relegated to a small corner of the tank by the larger clarki clown. Now that he's the sole survivor he seems to think he owns the place and attacks me as soon as my hand goes into the water. I'm starting to think I may have to get some more fish

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the Dino started to come back not as bad as before I'm going to give hydrogen peroxide dosing a try I've got a 65 gallon tank and a 40 gallon sump both have a lot of rocks. I'm going to dose 8 ml of 3% solution once a day we'll see how it goes Kurt

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please let us know how the dosing goes. I am considering it but hesitant to pull the trigger.
Sure thing So far so good. I actually started 3 days age with a lights out on the tank. That knocked things down pretty good.I'm going to keep dosing for 2 weeks and see where I am.Still have to build up my CUC to help balance things out.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back