Long-term problems from FUGE light being on to long?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever experience any long-term problems or negative effects from their refugium light being on to long?

My tank is consuming Nitrates to fast and I assume the only thing causing this would be the fact my fuge light is on to long.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest issue with running a fuge light was the light spill in other sections of my sump. I couldn't fit blockers in place, and then I would get algae growing inside the skimmer.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one of the ways I control my nutrients. My ATS can strip my tank easy. Lights are only on for 9 hours at the moment.
I am learning the fuge/macros do little to my phosphate, but more so greatly effect the nitrate. I have been having to dose Calcium Nitrate not to bottom out, so I have been slowly trying to lower the amount of time my fuge light is on.

I was just wondering if this is a reoccurring problems for others.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably have anoxic bacteria growing in the sand rocks... sometimes media. They use the oxygen from the no3 molecule and turn it into nitrogen gas. This process does nothing for po4.

The fuge is likely doing something, but it is not the only source of nitrate removal in a reef tank.

Lowering fuge light cycle can affect pH, if you care about that. Fuge is a large contributor to photosynthetic pH boost.

If you are worried that low no3 will harm your corals or anything, that is not likely the case if you are feeding well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back