Long threads irritating corals

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these long single threads on the glass and rocks that may be irritating the corals keeping them closed.

It's a single strand about 6 inches long, dark color, thickness of thread all over.

I haven't really seen this discussed?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the mucous threads from dinoflagellates. Pictures under white light to confirm would help.

OP
OP
R

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upper left of zoa

VideoCapture_20230301-143447.jpg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically if it's minor just leave things alone especially if the tank is under 6 months to a year old. If it's a growing problem, bottoming out nutrients can cause it. Do you have measurable nitrate and phosphate? If not feeding a bit more can counterintuitively help as other types of algae will outcompete dinos. That being said, I'd just ride it out and only make changes if it starts getting significantly worse.

OP
OP
R

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically if it's minor just leave things alone especially if the tank is under 6 months to a year old. If it's a growing problem, bottoming out nutrients can cause it. Do you have measurable nitrate and phosphate? If not feeding a bit more can counterintuitively help as other types of algae will outcompete dinos. That being said, I'd just ride it out and only make changes if it starts getting significantly worse.
Will it kill the corals if they don't want to open?

OP
OP
R

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily but it can. If you want you can use a turkey baster to wash them away, but I wouldn't even be convinced the brown strands are the primary cause of the closed zoas
I did add ph buffer 5 days ago which I now know was a mistake. It's either that or the threads. Everything else is status quo.

Tanks is 6 months old.
Phosphate. 05
Nitrate around 5
Alk 9

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add ph buffer 5 days ago which I now know was a mistake. It's either that or the threads. Everything else is status quo.

Tanks is 6 months old.
Phosphate. 05
Nitrate around 5
Alk 9
My suggestion: continue as normal for 1 - 2 weeks (zoas rarely melt in that time frame) and see if things return to normal. Overengineering a solution or being reactive regularly makes these sorts of problems a lot worse

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, just keep a close watch on those threads of dinos for an increasing amount. They are far easier to defeat if you catch them early. We will all be around if you see more, just send some pics in and we can help direct.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back