Long time lurker from Nor/So California. Hello!

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helllllo everybody!

I have not had a tank outside of a betta tank for a few years, and am finally getting ready to pull the trigger on my first reef tank.

My dad had a reef tank until I was in about third grade and I remember being obsessed with it. Sadly it was taken down after a move and never set back up. Fast forward 25 years or so and I'm now an adult and can have my own. I've been bouncing around San Diego for the past 10 years ago after the military, and have always lived in apartments that would not allow tanks. I am finally moving back up to Sacramento at the beginning of April for some cost of living relief and to be closer to family. The complex I am moving too allows tanks up to 40g!

Queue you all: I need help! I've spent the last 1.5-2 years reading about tanks(here, reddit, a few books)/watching videos, but there is no substitute for actual experience.

Here's my introductory question: Which tank? I've been eyeballing the IM 25 lagoon, IM 40L, or the Waterbox 35.2. I'd like to keep mostly softies and maybe a few pieces of LPS. I'm leaning towards the 40L, but am concerned about increased difficulty moving it when I buy a house (within an hour and most likely within the next year or two). Additionally a little bit worried that it will just look super empty for a lot longer than the 25 would. Any insights, advice, or suggestions?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Helllllo everybody!

I have not had a tank outside of a betta tank for a few years, and am finally getting ready to pull the trigger on my first reef tank.

My dad had a reef tank until I was in about third grade and I remember being obsessed with it. Sadly it was taken down after a move and never set back up. Fast forward 25 years or so and I'm now an adult and can have my own. I've been bouncing around San Diego for the past 10 years ago after the military, and have always lived in apartments that would not allow tanks. I am finally moving back up to Sacramento at the beginning of April for some cost of living relief and to be closer to family. The complex I am moving too allows tanks up to 40g!

Queue you all: I need help! I've spent the last 1.5-2 years reading about tanks(here, reddit, a few books)/watching videos, but there is no substitute for actual experience.

Here's my introductory question: Which tank? I've been eyeballing the IM 25 lagoon, IM 40L, or the Waterbox 35.2. I'd like to keep mostly softies and maybe a few pieces of LPS. I'm leaning towards the 40L, but am concerned about increased difficulty moving it when I buy a house (within an hour and most likely within the next year or two). Additionally a little bit worried that it will just look super empty for a lot longer than the 25 would. Any insights, advice, or suggestions?
Ideal will be the IM 40L allowing room for your desired coral and Light would be either an Ai Prime hd or noopsyche K7 mini or K7 pro

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a 20g but you need a "Plan" from day one. My 20g was moved about 10 miles away and was super easy to do.
Its on its 3rd restart due to overgrowth, lol.
I am into sticks but it works for all corals.
Pm me if you want.
My 20g just before I took it down and the same 20g today at 24 days and counting.
Difference is this is a halide system where other is a 16hd led system.
20220926_094502.jpg
20230323_141009.jpg

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideal will be the IM 40L allowing room for your desired coral and Light would be either an Ai Prime hd or noopsyche K7 mini or K7 pro
I was concerned/hoping that's what everyone was going to say haha. I keep reading that most people don't regret going with the larger tank. I imagine I'm gonna have to do two lights considering the tank is 35.4 long, so was thinking 2x K7 mini?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was concerned/hoping that's what everyone was going to say haha. I keep reading that most people don't regret going with the larger tank. I imagine I'm gonna have to do two lights considering the tank is 35.4 long, so was thinking 2x K7 mini?
Lights would work and offer excellent shimmer

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a big fan of the AI's as they support the frag tank well, but price and tank support should drive the answer for you

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a big fan of the AI's as they support the frag tank well, but price and tank support should drive the answer for you
I definitely prefer the look of the AIs, but if I'm gonna need 2 then I feel like I should go with the noopsyches simply on cost at this point. Hopefully I don't regret that choice later on!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings and welcome to the reef! I agree that the 40 is an ideal entry point, and will be relatively easy to move down the road. Just, as mentioned, have a plan from the beginning. I also highly reccomend two K7 minis.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef. IM customer service is fantastic so I recommend the IM40 with a single XR30 light on it in case you decide later you want some SPS up top in the tank. If you go IM call Paul and see what the preferred set up is. Thank you for your service.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back