Longhorn cowfish-experiences

  • Thread starter Thread starter tj w
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 10, 2015
Messages
2,170
Reaction score
1,230
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just acquired on of these today. Going into my 300 gallon. Any one had experience with these guys releasing toxins? Was wondering with water volume would it be ok or would it kill my other fish? Any info is great
 
I have had 2 before. The only issue I ran into was dealing with water flow. The small one I had got stuck to the over flow a couple of times so a large guard was added. The other one was about 3 inches and the fish did great for a while but suddenly one day lost all control of orientation and swimming. I have never had the experience of toxins being released before. I worked in a LFS for several years and we never encountered a toxin issue.
 
Sorry to hear that. Ive got covers on overflow boxes and a canopy. Urs ever nip at corals or pretty safe fish
 
I never saw them nipping but it was a risk I took when I got them. To stop the overflow problem I built cage around box so the water flow was lowered to the point where the fish could not get pinned to the side of the overflow box.
 
I have had them in the past. The only time I have ever seen one release the toxin is when being transported in a bucket. They will nip at LPS and pipe organs IME.
 
Thanks guys, we'll see how it goes
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new