Longnose Hawk

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I have a 90 gallon mixed reef about 6 months old. So far I have a Magnificent Foxface, 2 OC Clowns, 3 blue green chromis, 1 Yasha goby (paired with a coral banded shrimp and pretty much always hidden) 1 Diamond watchman goby a serpent star, and a bunch of assorted snails and hermits. I have read that some hawks can be aggressive with bottom dwellers. Will a longnose work in my setup?

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more concerned about your inverts. I personally watched a longnose snatch up a coral banded, probably about 3/4", all that was left was the antennae sticking out his mouth.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a long nose hawk that munched on a bunch of "small" Obsolata snails . These snails were really small though. I think I will try another Hawk of some type as my snails now are much bigger.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more concerned about your inverts. I personally watched a longnose snatch up a coral banded, probably about 3/4", all that was left was the antennae sticking out his mouth.
If you're looking at getting a Hawk then go into it with this mindset. However, there are cases where you have luck. I picked up a Flame Hawk and put him into a tank with my coral banded and they've been together for 6 months.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im more concerned with the gobys. Will he try and eat them? I’m willing to risk the coral banded shrimp because I’d only ever seen him com out of his hole once or twice. I go months without seeing him at all.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the longnoss hawk will not eat any of the fish in your tank. He may try after some of your inverts, but that hasn't been too much of a problem IME.

Some hawkfish species can behave aggressively to other perching fish, but the longnose isn't one of those species.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back