Longshot- Apex- Black Box Dimming

  • Thread starter Thread starter andrewey
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 9, 2016
Messages
2,768
Reaction score
6,211
Location
Arizona
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately I don't have access to my multimeter at the moment, so I'm hoping someone may have wired one of these up in the past and remembered- I have a no name black box led and was trying to wire it up so my apex could control the dimming functions. Unfortunately the board doesn't have great labeling, so I was trying to determine which of the cables controls the power, ground, and dimming. Based on the three cables attached to the dimming board, I'm assuming they share a common ground in the middle, but I was hoping someone would recognize which is my power and which cable I would wire up with my 0-10v from the apex. Let me know what pictures/tests would help. I know it's a long shot, so Thanks!

 
First see if your dimming boar is labelled. If not open the driver..
 
Dimming board is not labeled. Driver is labeled (pictured below). Based on the labeling, I'm assuming the dimming is via a 5V PWM? If so, I'm assuming that means I can't connect the 0-10v analog signal from the apex to the 5V PWM directly or is this incorrect?

IMG_20200529_075804.jpg
 
Dimming board is not labeled. Driver is labeled (pictured below). Based on the labeling, I'm assuming the dimming is via a 5V PWM? If so, I'm assuming that means I can't connect the 0-10v analog signal from the apex to the 5V PWM directly or is this incorrect?

IMG_20200529_075804.jpg
Surprising.... Some "old" ones were PWM (don't remember if it was 5 or 10V atm but pretty sure most were 10v PWM).
None were 5V analog ..

You are correct.. IF this is 5v pwm you would need a conversion board from 10V analog to 5V PWM.
These exist, since common Meanwell LDD drivers use 5V PWM.

Needs further research, unfortunately.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new