Look for advice

reeferdon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried my best to not get any Aiptasia and Bubble Algae in my tank. I failed, I have 2 Emerald Crabs and 1 Foxface, and no luck yet. my tank is 48x24x24, I'm thinking I may need to add a few more emerald crabs and see what they do, a total of 5.
I'm wondering if the crabs only come out when the lights out

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large emerald crab and he could care less about bubble algae. And yes, he's typically most active at night. When I have seen him he prefers scavenging through the corals. Foxfaces don't normally go after aiptasia - you'd need an aiptasia-eating filefish (but those are kind of a short-term solution). Urchins and ring cowries are probably a better option for algae of all types.

Something like Aiptasia-X (etc.) might work better.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have 3 emerald crabs in my 100 G sps tank, and they love bubble algae, and coroline algae as well...

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia x works for a few weeks if that then bang more show up :/ you have to keep going nuclear till it’s eradicated I’ll never introduce a new coral without a thorough qt to avoid aiptasia,bugs and invasive sponges

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Aiptasia x works for a few weeks if that then bang more show up :/ you have to keep going nuclear till it’s eradicated I’ll never introduce a new coral without a thorough qt to avoid aiptasia,bugs and invasive sponges
you gotta hit aptasia with all angles, peppermint shrimp, aptasia x, brugalias, and manual removal,, its a war, and there is no one way to get rid of them,,,, Shotgun effect worked for me.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a good option for them as well or d there is laser beams that shoot at them wear eye protection if you go that route. Iv personally caught all mine but one in qt and then just used a tweezer.

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried my best to not get any Aiptasia and Bubble Algae in my tank. I failed, I have 2 Emerald Crabs and 1 Foxface, and no luck yet. my tank is 48x24x24, I'm thinking I may need to add a few more emerald crabs and see what they do, a total of 5.
I'm wondering if the crabs only come out when the lights out
Neither of these are really avoidable, especially the algae. If you have your nutrients under control the bubble algae will subside. The aiptasia will need more attention though. I have kept them at bay with peppermint shrimp that really work well so long as you end up with the right variety.

OP
OP
reeferdon

reeferdon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of these are really avoidable, especially the algae. If you have your nutrients under control the bubble algae will subside. The aiptasia will need more attention though. I have kept them at bay with peppermint shrimp that really work well so long as you end up with the right variety.
What's the right variety?

OP
OP
reeferdon

reeferdon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an infestation of aiptasia in the past and everything I tried made them spread worse and it was bad, so I ended up ordering $200 worth of nudibranch, and they devoured them. Due to the price, they're my last option.

OP
OP
reeferdon

reeferdon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just like everything there's a story. Peppermint shrimp look an awful lot like camel shrimp so it's possible that's what you'd end up with. I can't really tell the difference myself.
Huum, I'll look into them as my next option

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Look at post 5 in above thread.
What's the right variety?
Screenshot from post 5 above

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220713-235549_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220713-235549_Chrome.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 21

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huum, I'll look into them as my next option
See if your LFS has any peppermints. Ask them if they know they are the correct type. A few shops near me put their peps in tanks that have aiptasia and don't offer them any other food so they get used to eating the nems (or more to the point, don't get spoiled with fish food).

A filefish worked well for me, but I know they can be coral nippers once the nems are gone.

OP
OP
reeferdon

reeferdon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if your LFS has any peppermints. Ask them if they know they are the correct type. A few shops near me put their peps in tanks that have aiptasia and don't offer them any other food so they get used to eating the nems (or more to the point, don't get spoiled with fish food).

A filefish worked well for me, but I know they can be coral nippers once the nems are gone.
Can't say that the LFS out here in Las Vegas knows the difference.

JammiJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the aptasia, consider getting bergia nudibranchs:

It worked well for my tank. I also have a file fish as well:

During the time you are getting rid of them, try to lower the nutrient intake in your tank too (don't broadcast feed corals if you do right now).

I am less help with bubble algae, so trust someone with more experience on this.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
reeferdon

reeferdon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly want to get rid of the bubble algae for now. I'll look into the peppermint shrimp.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly want to get rid of the bubble algae for now. I'll look into the peppermint shrimp.
Manual removal is your best tool for bubble algae.
I'm surprised your foxface doesn't eat it... Mine loves the stuff! When I pull some out of my frag tank, I feed to to him and he eats so much , he sometimes gets lumpy, lol!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back