Look what I have

youngtimothy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while taking pictures I discovered these nice little pests! I must have had them a while. I havent added anything in a while. does anything eat them cause takeing corals out and dipping is not a good option.

DSC07675.jpg

DSC07674.jpg

mylittlejade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look's to be red bugs. You can dose Interceptor, and they will all die off along with all your hermit crabs. You can get it from a vet, or find someone with it.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interceptor works like a charm. I don't keep hermit crabs or shrimp (at the time) and the only thing that changed in the tank, is the red bugs all disappeared.

OP
OP
youngtimothy

youngtimothy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of damage do they do? I've had to have them quite a while. I have 3 shrimp and a couple dozen hermits and a lot of snails will it hurt them? I'm assuming the hermits will be history. shrimp and snails?

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits and shrimp are sensitive to the interceptor. They keep polyp extension down, and colors can be faded as well. My stags grew very fast after the bugs were ridden from them too.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them a couple of years ago. Here's my log entry from the Interceptor Treatment.

Interceptor Treatment 190 tank - 1/1/2007
1 hr. - Just as many bugs as before but I didn't see any moving.
2 1/2 hr. - Over half of the bugs are gone. A few of the remaining are suspended from the coral by a "thread" or "web"
3 1/2 hr. - Can still see a few bugs left, maybe 5%
4 1/2 hr. - Cannot find any bugs.
7 hrs. - 50 gallon water change and bag of carbon in the sump.
Thoughout the whole process none of the livestock (corals, fish, starfish, and snails) displayed any abnormal behavior. I did the water change by using a siphon hose and replaced the water by pouring the buckets in the sump with the return pump running. Some of the corals were exposed to air for < 10 minutes. The return pump kicked up a lot of bubbles until the water level came up and those bubbles stuck to the slime that must have been produced by the coral being out of the water so they had slime strings coming off of them. I was concerned that my replacement water might cool the tank off too much as it was only about 65* - 69*. The tank temp was 81.7* before the water change and 78.8* after so I was happy about that.
To sum up, I am pleased with the results so far. I plan to do the identical procedure in one week.

I tried to catch as many hermits as I could before the treatment but I couldn't get them all. The hermits that stayed in the tank and a pistol shrimp lived through it all. You need a very small amount of interceptor. If you'll print out the directions from one of these reef forums and take it to a vet they will usually sell you a pill. I got one for a 150 pound (I think) dog and I treated a 190 and a 225 twice and I've still got half of it left.

Like you, I had to have had mine for over a year because of them being in two tanks and based on what and when I added/moved corals. I never even noticed any ill effects to the coral and only realized that I had them when I gave a frag to a fellow reefer and she called my attention to them before she put it in her tank. After the treatment the corals didn't do any better. They seemed to be doing fine with the red bugs. To sum it up, they are pretty easy to get rid of.

Good Luck

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 48 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back