Looking at buying a royal gramma

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my LFS they have two royal grammas, they are swimming ok, but on their skin surface they have these white blotches/ or areas with a white sheen. Not specks like ich but more like a white/sheen like rash

It does not look like ich, possibly velvet? They have had them for a few weeks like it. They would be going into my QT first,so I was wondering if cupramine would treat it?

I don't have a photo, here's a similar looking picture from the internet, but the fish in the store have larger areas of markings

RoyalGramma2_11-09-04.jpg

Simply__J

@MoriReef45
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could that just be missing scales from transport or fighting? You did say there were two. I've come to learn that they can be aggressive and territorial.

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish at the store are more covered in the marks, they are in separate tanks on their own with some inverts

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your photo is in focus. Looking at it, the paler areas seem to be specific scales. That leads me to conclude that those areas are the result of physical trauma to the scales. It does not appear to be disease. If the fish is active, alert, and eating well, it should be fine. Of course, it could have a non symptomatic disease. Quarantine is always a good idea.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal gramma can be keep in harem with one male and one or more females. The fish will turn male quickly without a dominant fish. If they stay by thenselves for any length of time, they'll turn male. The trick is having LFS order them for you and keep them together.
That picture was not of the fish you want to buy, but just of a fish online only so it's hard to comment on the suppose disease if any.

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking if I used seachem Paraguard to treat for bacteria infections then start 30 days in cupramine? Or would I best to do the copper treatment first then paraguard? Paraguard also says it can be used as a bath.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why buy a fish you believe is sick? I would recommend waiting for some healthy RGs to come along or search other stores...........saves a lot of grief in the long run.

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why buy a fish you believe is sick? I would recommend waiting for some healthy RGs to come along or search other stores...........saves a lot of grief in the long run.

Because if it's treatable I could save them, especially as it seems most people do not QT in the uk

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the white marks are similar in size to those posted in the pic, it is either damaged scales or flukes. Damaged scales will heal and flukes are easy enough to treat. If the LFS is willing, have them do a freshwater dip. After a minute or two, if it's flukes, they will get more noticeable and begin to fall off.

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not get one of them in the end, another LFS had a healthy looking one, so I thought about your words mikedawg, and got the healthy looking one.

Settled into my QT nicely and eating this evening, tomorrow I will start raising the cupramine level

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not get one of them in the end, another LFS had a healthy looking one, so I thought about your words mikedawg, and got the healthy looking one.

Settled into my QT nicely and eating this evening, tomorrow I will start raising the cupramine level
Sounds like you made a good choice - eating already; they are beautiful fish and one of my favorites. Good luck with him.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a harem in my tank and they spawned all the time. Very beautiful fish but can loose their brilliant color if not get a good diet in captivity.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved one from QT to DT this week - what an eye catcher! He's out and about much more than I expected :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 102 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back