Looking at going big

bronzewhaler22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at building a large tank I think it is about 950g, Wondering on any thoughts about stocking, food, filtration, lighting and clean up crew

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What dimensions are you looking at? what space setup do you have in mind (in wall, fish room space, etc.)? Bigger is great, but the costs for equipment and maintenance go along with it.

OP
OP
bronzewhaler22

bronzewhaler22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off ground done basic drawings more for design but it is based of king of diy 2000g

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking to keep this as a full reef, FOWLER, species specific tank? Its important to know what you are looking to keep as that will change how a system is built out.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at fowlr as reef would be beyond my budget
Any species of fish sparking your interest? Tangs, angels, puffers, triggers, groupers, eels, wrasses, other species? Planning out a tentative stocking list is important to get an idea for filtration. If you plan on keeping fish that consume large amounts of food like puffers, triggers, groupers, eels then filtration sizing and type will be impacted versus a tank with just tangs, butterflies, angels, or even a tank with all small species like damesls, chromis, psudochromis.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this case over sized filtration would be needed due to the type of heavy eating fish you want to keep. A large/oversize skimmer and a xl-large refugium to export nutrients via algae can be considered. Depending on the species of triggers you want to have they might not be compatible with sharks as sharks should not be kept with species that nip fins.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say use a hot water loop for sure. Or control the temperature in the room itself.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool will probably rather sharks over triggers so what do you think about heating
Radiant heating system that utilizes a heat exchanger. I use a pex coil with redundant temp controllers to maintain my systems heat. Controlling the room temp is an option but it would need to have both heating and cooling capacity and would take some time to raise the water temp to where it needs to be compared to just heating the water directly which will raise the air temp in the room that holds the tank. Humidity control will also need to be considered based on the space housing the tank and your climate.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back