Looking at the "Mars Aqua" Dimmable 300w Led fixture on ebay.

pmgaudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm. correct me if I am Wrong but the 1o Warm whites are bad for DT..... That spectrum So I have read in countless GHA threads, is good for growing one thing, and it aint coral... (I have seen that used in algae scrubbers or whatever they are called because of that)... I am sure I might be wrong but I would not use it for a reef tank based on that alone.....|

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jeremy, I too am looking at leds. Let me start off with I have no experience with leds. I haven't seen anything negative about those, not much out there in the way of reviews. I agree that the white might be too low in spectrum. What size tank are you looking to put these on? From what I can tell from reading posts is that a lot of people aren't running their 165watt ebays at full power. I might be wrong on this but that what it seems to me I found this light for $200 on ebay
120W LED Aquarium Lighting Full Spectrum Programmable Coral Reef Moonlight | eBay

Its a 165watt full spectrum 3 channel 14k white, blue and colors, moonlights. programmable with sunrise etc. Unlike most ebay ads they give specs and product info and have a 3 year warrant, which I think means you send it back and you buy a new light while you wait for them to send it back hope this helps

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thing has far too much output on the red end of the spectrum. It appears it was designed for growing plants (or algae as the case may be).

OP
OP
JerSaint

JerSaint

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks guys! I will keep looking for a good cheapo for now. I am looking for a light for my Oceanic 58 gallon that is 36" x 18" x 22". The reason I had looked at this one was the length. I was hoping for 1 fixture to cove the tank but if that's not an option I will go for 2. I am open to ideas, so anything you guys see let me know! I will check those out Kurt.

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat. Mine is a 65g 36x18x25H with a black center brace. I'm not sure if one of the 16" fixtures would give me coverage without shadows. I did see one posting from someone with a 16" ebay about 12" above the water on a 65G and it looked fine for coverage. I didn't check to see if that tank had a center brace.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back