looking for a cool/unique reef-safe addition

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I am looking for a new addition to my tank. Something pretty/colorful/unique that isn't going to kill or be killed haha. I don't have any shrimp due to fear of them being eaten. Open to all suggestions. Was looking into starfish?

150 gal reef (lps/soft)
Here is my fish list:

4 x Clown fish1 x Blue damsal1 x Foxface
1 x Sailfin tang1 x Chocolate tang1 x Red dragonnette goby
1 x Bluejaw trigger1 x Formosa wrasse
2 x Anthias1 x striped fang Blenny
2 x Fire fish1 x pixie hawk
1 x Scopas tang1 x neon dottyback

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish you could go with a school of anthias.

Nit very shure for a starfish. I have a leneka but they often don't live long. The other 2 stars I've kept (sand sifting and serpent/brittle) don't stay out.

20240208_063827.jpg

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish you could go with a school of anthias.

Nit very shure for a starfish. I have a leneka but they often don't live long. The other 2 stars I've kept (sand sifting and serpent/brittle) don't stay out.

20240208_063827.jpg
Not sure if I want to go that route if they don't tend to live long, but very cool creature nonetheless.

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would any shrimp be possible? What about an urchin?

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, most true, reef-safe starfish (Asteroidea) tend to die off after ~8-13 months in our tanks, presumably due to lacking diets.

Since the reef-safe species are thought (with good reason) to eat biofilm in the wild, and since we can't purposefully recreate those biofilms in our tanks, they basically just slowly starve in our tanks.

Brittle and serpent stars (Ophiuroidea), however, tend to do well in our tanks.

With a formosa, trigger, and hawkfish in the mix, I'd probably look more toward adding something like a sea cucumber myself.

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, most true, reef-safe starfish (Asteroidea) tend to die off after ~8-13 months in our tanks, presumably due to lacking diets.

Since the reef-safe species are thought (with good reason) to eat biofilm in the wild, and since we can't purposefully recreate those biofilms in our tanks, they basically just slowly starve in our tanks.

Brittle and serpent stars (Ophiuroidea), however, tend to do well in our tanks.

With a formosa, trigger, and hawkfish in the mix, I'd probably look more toward adding something like a sea cucumber myself.
because they won't attack it?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because they won't attack it?
Yeah, few of the things we put in our tanks bother sea cucumbers.

Edit: To add, it might be worthwhile asking people like i can't think and Slocke about potential inverts for the tank, as you've got some pretty aggressive-toward-inverts fish in there that they likely have some good info on.

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, few of the things we put in our tanks bother sea cucumbers.

Edit: To add, it might be worthwhile asking people like i can't think and Slocke about potential inverts for the tank, as you've got some pretty aggressive-toward-inverts fish in there that they likely have some good info on.
@Slocke :D

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large wrasse like the Formosa and the trigger could be a threat to echidnoderms, aka starfish and urchins. Rock urchins and long spine are a tougher option but tuxedos seem to be an easy prey for larger wrasse. As for starfish like brittle/serpent stars you definitely want a larger one but they are not necessarily safe either. Unfortunately a Coris Formosa is a formidable hunter. (Also not found anywhere near the place formerly known as Formosa so don’t even know how they got their name.)

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems I should've passed on him and got several cool inverts instead of one fish.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also just a heads up a full grown formosa wrasse can grow to 2 feet long. They get GIANT, can toss rocks and coral over scavenging for food, and they will make a 150 look SMALLLLLL. At full size I wouldn't trust them with a single invert aside from maybe a longspine urchin.

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also just a heads up a full grown formosa wrasse can grow to 2 feet long. They get GIANT, can toss rocks and coral over scavenging for food, and they will make a 150 look SMALLLLLL. At full size I wouldn't trust them with a single invert aside from maybe a longspine urchin.
I heard they don't grow very big in tanks, only in the wild.

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pincushion urchin, he's doing fine. Will get a couple more and look for some larger hermits. The wrasse seems to only go for the small guys, at least for now.

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I've purchased several snails, crabs, urchins, a sea cucumber and a cleaner shrimp, with success.

I've been putting my snails in on the rock instead of on the sand bed which helps a lot as far as attacks from the Formosa and the snails' ability to stay grounded.

I fed and left a strip of seaweed in on one side of the tank, and put the shrimp in on the other side. The Formosa has not paid any attention to him. Will look to get more now.

The formosa seems to like to attack things that he notices are being newly added. If I distract him while I'm adding inverts, he seems much less interested later on. He'll still occasionally go for some snails or crabs but nowhere near as much as when I would add them without distracting him.

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A engineer goby's eel-like body is always unique. Another you could try a jawfish
engineer goby is super cool. I'm worried about my rock structure though because it's on top of the sand, not the glass floor.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back