OP
OP
O

Orsini26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see how long mini-figs hold up for in saltwater.
They've actually held up well so far. They've had a lot of algae and other corraline growth on them. Haven't removed them yet but I'm thinking I could just remove them and soak them in vinegar to remove it

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think they will become very brittle over time and start cracking.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I love it! I did see that set and am tempted to use some of the fish from that set in my new tank. Lego fish swimming with real fish. The tang wouldn't be pleased with it I bet lol
That would have been funny to do

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds interesting! Are you going for an old shipwreck kind of look? Cause it will never stay free of coralline algae and stuff. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
O

Orsini26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds interesting! Are you going for an old shipwreck kind of look? Cause it will never stay free of coralline algae and stuff. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Lol yep it will likely stay with the algae on it. I do like the old shipwreck look. I'll have to see how much algae growth there is with a t5 led hybrid system. Never used that style but I assume more algae growth overall

OP
OP
O

Orsini26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if there are any updates!
Lol finally getting all the equipment ready. Black friday BRS Tv did not disappoint!

My first build steps:
1. Raise the space in the stand a few inches (I got a OCTO 2000 int protein skimmer on sale but increasing cabinet space would make this much more accessible), I was thinking of adding some wood planks to raise the edges of the tank and thus the space under the tank (if anyone has any comments or suggestions to this, I'm all ears!)
2. Adjust the sump space as I might need to increase the overall length on the acrylic one I got 2nd hand. I saw some reviews online for JB waterweld so I might try adding some additional acrylic pieces using this to increase length of sump. Also will have to play with the sizing as I also bought a red sea roller mat kit (biggest model)
3. Build the aquarium canopy. I finally got the hydros with a 0 to 10 v connection as well as 4 separate 36 in long dimmable t5 retrokits. Was likely planning on having 3 ai primes in the center with 72 in (2 x 36 on dimmable t5) flanking each side for supplemental lighting. I was planning on creating the canopy from wood. I believe I can increase the airflow by cutting some holes and drilling in a few computer fans.

Let me know if u all have any thoughts or suggestions. Hopefully I can get some pics of the beginning of the process next week or early December!

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol finally getting all the equipment ready. Black friday BRS Tv did not disappoint!

My first build steps:
1. Raise the space in the stand a few inches (I got a OCTO 2000 int protein skimmer on sale but increasing cabinet space would make this much more accessible), I was thinking of adding some wood planks to raise the edges of the tank and thus the space under the tank (if anyone has any comments or suggestions to this, I'm all ears!)
2. Adjust the sump space as I might need to increase the overall length on the acrylic one I got 2nd hand. I saw some reviews online for JB waterweld so I might try adding some additional acrylic pieces using this to increase length of sump. Also will have to play with the sizing as I also bought a red sea roller mat kit (biggest model)
3. Build the aquarium canopy. I finally got the hydros with a 0 to 10 v connection as well as 4 separate 36 in long dimmable t5 retrokits. Was likely planning on having 3 ai primes in the center with 72 in (2 x 36 on dimmable t5) flanking each side for supplemental lighting. I was planning on creating the canopy from wood. I believe I can increase the airflow by cutting some holes and drilling in a few computer fans.

Let me know if u all have any thoughts or suggestions. Hopefully I can get some pics of the beginning of the process next week or early December!
Any joy on your Lego build? Lol

I attempted this a while ago but due to trademarks etc.. you are kindly reminded/ requested to not progress

Attachments

• IMG20231120223501.jpg
    IMG20231120223501.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
O

Orsini26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any joy on your Lego build? Lol

I attempted this a while ago but due to trademarks etc.. you are kindly reminded/ requested to not progress
Lol there will b lots of joy from this build, especially my foxface who is needing a bigger home.

That's cool! U made those yourself from epoxy I assume? I've been using actual lego minfigures and lego pieces since I have so many laying around from the childhood days. And lego, please don't shut me down

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol there will b lots of joy from this build, especially my foxface who is needing a bigger home.

That's cool! U made those yourself from epoxy I assume? I've been using actual lego minfigures and lego pieces since I have so many laying around from the childhood days. And lego, please don't shut me down
Attempted to make I will add lol.
Hands, swords, helmets went missing in moulds/could not remove easily so moulds was a bust lol, we had great fun though :) :)

OP
OP
O

Orsini26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

So I've made progress, albeit it's somewhat minimal right now. I have built up the stand to add some more clearance for the reef octopus skimmer. It was quite a fun to see how rusty the door hardware had become lol. I also painted a coating of polyurethane on the inside of the stand to aid in water resistance. I was planning on using a basic 55 gallon aqueon tank for my sumo but unfortunately the tank it too tall to work. I have a smaller acrylic sump I found on Facebook marketplace and am doing a little diy work to extend it out using some acrylic glue.

Now I am working on the aquarium hood as well which is where I will store 3 ai primes and 2 dimmable t5 tunes. I was considering a total of 4 tubes, but am thinking of just using 2 as supplemental lights in the hood. Any opinions on the 2 bulb vs the 4 bulb configuration?

Another thing i thought of to add to the stand was a large plastic tray under it. Sadly the only place the tank can go is a carpeted area. And I'm thinking I can place a large tray or some plastic under it to prevent less water getting on the carpet. However I am having a hard time finding anything online that is that big. It would need to fit the size of a standard 125 g tank stand meaning it would likely have to be 80 in by 30 in. Anyone know where I could find something like this? Alternatively I could also cut a piece of acrylic and glue it to a piece of plywood for support. Then I could glue small pieces of acrylic onto the sides to make it into a tray. Any thoughts here?

Pictures below aren't too exciting but just an idea of what it looks like

Attachments

• 20231229_213141.jpg
    20231229_213141.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231231_121514.jpg
    20231231_121514.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231229_201656.jpg
    20231229_201656.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 12

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back