Looking for a good heater and controller.

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi (noob btw),

I'm looking for budget reliable heater that wont kill my tank. I've heard good things about the Eheim jager heater, just looking for a controller so it doesn't overheat my tank and stuff. Thanks for any responses : )

Coogles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the ITC-308S. It has a replaceable aquarium safe probe and both heating and cooling circuits.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim and Ranco for me. Had too much bad stuff with InkBird and while they might have gotten better over the years, I don't care since I have never had a problem with Ranco in over two decades. Somebody let me know when vast numbers of people have an InkBird running for 5-10 years without any issues.

Whatever you do, set the Eheim to turn off just about .5 or 1 degree more than the controller. This way, if the controller sticks on, your Eheims will turn off before your tank boils.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Eheim and Ranco for me. Had too much bad stuff with InkBird and while they might have gotten better over the years, I don't care since I have never had a problem with Ranco in over two decades. Somebody let me know when vast numbers of people have an InkBird running for 5-10 years without any issues.

Whatever you do, set the Eheim to turn off just about .5 or 1 degree more than the controller. This way, if the controller sticks on, your Eheims will turn off before your tank boils.
What If your heater is set at same temp as the controller ? I’m confused if the controller were to stay on shouldn’t the heater itself shut off any if heats to the temp of the controller?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want to the controller to be on, and the heater not. Let the controller do the work and the heater as backup. If the controller is on, then the heater needs to be heating... not the other way around. This is why you set the heater slightly higher.

Also, put the temp probe of the heater in the tank, not the sump. If you have multiple heaters, then I like to put one in the tank so that if I lose my return pump, the tank still stays warm. This redundancy along with flow pumps being on separate outlets as the return pump can save a tank.

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want to the controller to be on, and the heater not. Let the controller do the work and the heater as backup. If the controller is on, then the heater needs to be heating... not the other way around. This is why you set the heater slightly higher.

Also, put the temp probe of the heater in the tank, not the sump. If you have multiple heaters, then I like to put one in the tank so that if I lose my return pump, the tank still stays warm. This redundancy along with flow pumps being on separate outlets as the return pump can save a tank.
Ok thanks.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, there are many inkbird controllers is there a specific one that's good?
Get the one that has the sensor in plastic, not the sensor that looks stainless steel. I got the one that is stainless steel sensor and I had to coat it with plastic rubber. I don't have any issues but I did that as a precaution

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks you that makes a lot of sense. One other question if you don’t mind. My controller temp reads 2 degrees higher than what my thermometer. Is that a problem or should I just adjust the controller temp 2 degrees higher to accommodate ?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either works. Make sure that it does not drift. Outside of Ranco, I would be checking it monthly with something with Mercury in it. I would be checking a Ranco every 3-6 months.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Either works. Make sure that it does not drift. Outside of Ranco, I would be checking it monthly with something with Mercury in it. I would be checking a Ranco every 3-6 months.
Is this the Ranco controller ?

20C5677D-20DF-4F2E-A8B0-FABAD74379C6.png

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the aqualogic controller with BRS titanium heating elements, and a inkbird as overtemp control.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the Ranco controller ?

Yes. You will need to buy an extension cord and wire that one - it is easy.

They make a dual stage one too that you can use to turn on a fan (or chiller) if you have heat problems. It is more money, but worth it if you think that this might be you some day.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes. You will need to buy an extension cord and wire that one - it is easy.

They make a dual stage one too that you can use to turn on a fan (or chiller) if you have heat problems. It is more money, but worth it if you think that this might be you some day.
An extension cord and wire that one? I have to modify it by wiring lol? Maybe I should just get an apex that essentially is the same but better right ?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back