Looking for a Kalk stirrer/Mixer...

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for an easy to maintain way to add Kalk to my tank. I like the idea of the added benefits of the higher pH.
Ive never run one before so, im looking for something that I can easily add Kalk to and also which can easily be cleaned when needed.
Going on my 225G mixed reef/ SPS dominant tank

Ones I'm considering:
1. Avast Marine
2. Ice Cap magnetic stirrer
3. GeosReef Kalk Reactor

I am leaning towards the Ice Cap Magnetic Stirrer because i feel like there is less to disassemble for when i need to clean it so im more likely to do it.

Thanks
Joe

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite a derail but I saw some debate on whether a stirrer is even needed. Basically vacillating myself on this piece also.
FWIW just using saturated kalk in my ATO consistently bumps my pH a full point. YMMV, my tank is low demand for now

OP
OP
lacrosseboss18

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite a derail but I saw some debate on whether a stirrer is even needed. Basically vacillating myself on this piece also.
FWIW just using saturated kalk in my ATO consistently bumps my pH a full point. YMMV, my tank is low demand for now
Thanks
I wanted to avoid in my ATO since cleaning it would be a pain. I have it in a cabinet so lots of work to get it out to empty it on a regular basis

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Avast Marine one. I run it with a kamoer peristaltic pump. So far, it has been very easy and since I am only using it 4 hours per day.... I have not needed to add or clean out the kalk. Right now, it is my only means of Alk supplementation.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Ice Cap. At first, I worried that the cap would leak but it doesn't. (You just push it on and pull it off; no threads).

The only disadvantage I see of using a reactor vs just a reservoir is that you have to be vigilant to refilling the reactor with kalk. It is hard to know when it is used up. (Powder on the bottom may be insoluble so you can't just use that as an indicator). But once you get the routine down, it isn't too bad and has lots of conveniences over a basic reservoir. (I add about 2 TBS every 2 weeks for my 45 gal frag tank). Every so often you need to dump it out to get the old, insoluble stuff out.

Years ago, with a large system, I would just use it for my ATO. With my present (small) tank, I use a GHL Controller Timer to dose a certain amount every hour.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back