Looking For a new Macro Lens

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sony A330 and I am looking for a macro lens. First off I have almost no knowledge of what all the numbers mean on camera's. I know I am looking for a 1:1 macro. I was looking at:

Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro Autofocus Lens AF272M700 B&H Photo
It is more then what I originally wanted to spend but was not really seeing anything else out there.

So my questions are is this a good lens, does anyone have an experience with it? What other lens should I be looking at?

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little help with the numbers. Think of the 90mm as "zoom" the bigger the number the closer it will make the object look (I hope I said that right).

Then you have the f stop. Witch is the depth of field. The lower the number the better (in most cases).

I have a lens that is a 35mm f1.8
So I can open the aperture (f1.8) wide open and let lots of light in. This will let you use a slower shutter speed and ISO. But will also make for a very shallow depth of field. For example I can focus on the tip of your nose and your eyes will be blurry in the background.

Now to get to your question. I did not follow the link but I think it would be a good lens. It is 90mm which will let you be able to step further away from your subject, and when they are in your tank this is a must. It has f2.8 which is good. And if it is a 1:1 then it will blow up the image to life size. I dont consider the macro/micro lenses that are 1:2,1:4 etc. macro lenses.

Sorry. I tend to ramble when I get tired. Tamron seems to be a good brand and I wouldn't be afraid of purchasing their stuff.

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Followed the link. It looks like a good lens. I am looking to get one and the one I have had my eye on has almost the same specs. It's a 100mm instead of 90mm which isn't that big of a difference.

OP
OP
ss95003

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many options, and prices when it comes to macro lens abilities. What exactly are you looking for, the ability to capture a single polyp, or something that you can use to make close up images of corals, AND use the same lens for other pictures?

There are "zoom" type lenses from Canon and probably from Sony that are "pretty good" at Macro work and "pretty good" at everyday pictures as well. Maybe this is what you are looking for?

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sony A330 and I am looking for a macro lens. First off I have almost no knowledge of what all the numbers mean on camera's. I know I am looking for a 1:1 macro. I was looking at:

Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro Autofocus Lens AF272M700 B&H Photo
It is more then what I originally wanted to spend but was not really seeing anything else out there.

So my questions are is this a good lens, does anyone have an experience with it? What other lens should I be looking at?

I have the Nikon version of this lens and at that price point, it is a great lens. I use mine a lot for taking pics of coral and fish.

-Terry

Last edited:

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum well I think you jsut compared a covette to an accord. link I included was a little more then I really want to spend....yours is out of the question. I am not a professional. And do not ever plan on spending a grand on a lens.

I am very sorry I read your original post wrong. What are you looking to shoot top downs in a frag tank or threw the glass photos?

OP
OP
ss95003

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the main thing I want to do it get some great macro shots of corals and fish, from top down and or through the front glass.
I have seen some of the zoom type lenses that do macro but the from what I was reading the working distance is so far out that it makes it hard to work with on corals, and makes top down impossible. I'm not to worried about using this outside of the reef world. I can always a telephoto lense that is not all that expensive for that. When I first started looking that what I looked at was the zoom type lenses but like said before the working distance becomes an issue.
I really have no budget, do not see spending more then $500 on a lenses. When I first started i was thinking under $200 but the more I looked and read I do not see that happening. So I have already more then doubled my budget to be realistic, I do not want to double it again. :)

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, The sony cameras there seems not to have many options. If you are going to be in the 5-12 inch from the subject range I would recommend this lens it will give your phenomenal images, more then that you are going to have to crop.

Sigma 50mm f/2.8 (D) EX DG Macro Autofocus Lens 346205 B&H Photo

Sigma is a great brand, I personally have 3 or 4 sigma lens's that I use frequently. I think you are going to need a longer focal length and in your price range the 90 Tamron seems to be your only option. unless you dont mind cropping a little then this lens is another option.

Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro AF Lens for Sony & 270205 B&H

I personally would go with this lens its a little bit shorter but I have never been impressed with Tamrons Image quality, I have seen good shots with it but it seems like there quality controle is subpar to other company's.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 75 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back