Looking for a new Media Reactor

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Vertex 2.5L the RX-U 2.5L universal media reactor. The Rox 0.8 carbon is too fine and gets past the pad. I could try doubling up on the pad to see if that helps. I would like one of the newer media reactors that you can just pull it out and dump the old stuff out. The less work the better.

Avast Marine vs Nyos Torq

I know Avast makes great products I just worry about the carbon tumbling/bouncing around.

I was thinking about using the Vertex Reactors to house some Seachem Matrix. If so how often do you need to clean it off?

Thanks

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Nyos torque and avast. Both are solid units. If going gfo under carbon and want internal I would go with the torque. If external the avast. For double media I prefer the Nyos.

Ironfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dealt with the Nyos 2.0 reactor for 9 month and the amount of headaches are not worth it.
Last week was the pinnacle of the problems this reactor gave me and now I'm seriously thinking about suing Nyos for the mess 25 gallons of seawater made to my floor and house.
Horrible design. Not only the sponges but the flow, the lid, the built.
Media escaping the reactor.
Difficult to maintain and refill, especially when using 2 medias.
Water splashing all over when the lid gets loose when it should stay in place.

PLEASE DON'T BUY THIS. Unless until they release a new updated version.

And don't get me wrong. I have the Nyos Quantum 220 skimmer working since October 2018 and I love it.

I'm in the market to get a new reactor for my RedSea XXL625 in case you have suggestions.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch some of the videos on the Avast Spyglass reactor. I have finished building mine and getting ready to put it in my sump. I also have a Nyos but I will run the Avast.

Stephen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really happy with my Avast spyglass reactors. I run a small one with ROX carbon and a medium with AIO bio pellets. Both have been flawless since installing them. I like that you have a few different option also concerning how you run them. I run the medium with biopellets in a recirculating setup and the carbon in a non recirculating setup. Both are completely silent and take up minimal space.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the avast I would run one with a bigger pump and use a valve to turn it down the smallest Sicce pump they sell is not very reliable, if you can find a very small DC pump that might be best.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back