Looking for a refund from BRS for Brightwell Magnesion P?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, here's how to get one. lol

FWIW, this post is intended partly as a joke and partly as a warning to not simply accept manufacturer claims on web sites like BRS.

Seven years ago, I finally wrote to Jack Kent (new owner of Brightwell at the time, to fix his guaranteed analysis of Magnesion P since it could not possibly be accurate. It claimed nearly twice as much magnesium as the product could possibly contain, and had incorrect dosing instructions.

He fixed it.

I just noticed today that BRS still has the wrong "guaranteed analysis" on their web site and THE WRONG DOSING INSTRUCTIONS.

Come on, folks. Unacceptable after 7 years.

So is it a guarantee? Inquiring minds want to know.

Here's the explanation I sent to Jack Kent/Brightwell 7 years ago:

For many years now, you've had serious errors on your Magnesion P web site description, including the Guaranteed Analysis being way off. It simply cannot be 43% magnesium or have the magnesium boost per gram added that you claim based on the ingredients you add.

You use anhydrous magnesium chloride (25.5% magnesium) and anhydrous magnesium sulfate (20.2% magnesium). There is just no combination of these ingredients that can have more than 25.5% magnesium.

Especially since this is your guaranteed analysis, it would behoove you to fix this before people start asking for refunds. It will also save me the trouble of continually explaining to people online why you have such strange claims.

Thank you
Randy

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note however, that other web sites STILL carry the old info that is way too high in potency and low in dosing required:

"Guaranteed Analysis (by weight)

Magnesium (min) 43% (430,000 ppm)"

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the description of their salt they give specific gravity units

134 g per 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of purified water yields a specific gravity of ~1.025 g/cm3, with a pH of ~8.30 and alkalinity of ~7.5 dKH.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back