Looking for a second opinion on my Duncan

ReefHunter006

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 27, 2020
Messages
754
Reaction score
411
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This brown patch developed overnight. Duncan has been in the tank about 9 months. Do you think this is brown jelly disease? Any suggestions on proceeding?

A321729B-17BA-40B0-A823-CFB3578A488F.jpeg
9F53BC76-E120-451E-98C6-F520C3794D8B.jpeg
 
Looks like BJD on the smallest head. Has it gotten worse? Are you able to take the Duncan out of the tank and smell it? I know that sounds weird but BJD smells really bad.
 
Looks like BJD on the smallest head. Has it gotten worse? Are you able to take the Duncan out of the tank and smell it? I know that sounds weird but BJD smells really bad.
This is what it looks like now. The smallest head is still retracted. Probably best to try and get the super glue off and maybe frag it?
C6D05DB1-449D-489D-8428-37BFA59BF117.jpeg
 
That pic doesn’t look bad, but it wouldn’t hurt to take it out and inspect it. If it smells then I’d frag it and dip it afterwards before putting it back in.
 
That pic doesn’t look bad, but it wouldn’t hurt to take it out and inspect it. If it smells then I’d frag it and dip it afterwards before putting it back in.
I agree
 
That pic doesn’t look bad, but it wouldn’t hurt to take it out and inspect it. If it smells then I’d frag it and dip it afterwards before putting it back in.
Fragged as much of the head as I could. Hopefully that did the trick. I dipped it in CoralRX. Not sure how great that is for bacteria but it is all I have on hand.
 
I have dealt with this exact problem. A small head was covered with brown jelly so I took it out of the tank and inspected the I affected area. The head was dead, so I grabbed a toothbrush and scrubbed the head clean. Then I rinsed it and dipped it in coral rx and iodine. I repeated the process 3 days later. This is how I managed to save the colony and only lost one head. It’s been good ever since.
 
Fragged as much of the head as I could. Hopefully that did the trick. I dipped it in CoralRX. Not sure how great that is for bacteria but it is all I have on hand.
That works. I lost a cristata colony over the summer to BJD and managed to save 2 heads by fragging and dipping it in Coral Rx. Thankfully, no other LPS were ever affected so I hope that’s the case for you too.
 
Thanks for the help everyone. I’ll try to get my hands on some iodine dip to go with the coralrx. The remaining polyps are out after a couple hours. I put it on a frag plug and in a lower light area of the sand bed to help it heal. Hopefully that will save it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new