Looking for a simple controller for a chiller

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my aqua medic 1/3hp chiller control panel failed. The chiller itself still works flawlessly and would hate to have to get rid of it. I'm looking for a simple controller like an inkbird that has a rating of 10a and has a wifi capability or app controlled.

I currently have the wifi inkbird for my heaters and it works great. Does anyone know of one of these or am I stuck with the regular 308 inkbird for cooling ?

Thanks

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See how that one has a metal probe, that isnt suposed to be used in an aquarium. The one that's meant for aquariums has a plastic probe like this..

Screenshot_20191223-151106_Chrome.jpg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to get the one you posted and then change the probe.
Just what I was going to suggest...so full disclosure, I use the dual outlet heat Inkbird (I keep different day/night temps) and was getting annoyed here that I didn't see the wifi model during all of my searching. Because yeah, I would have gotten different probe or cover it in heat shrink/plastic.

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 306t-a to run my heater. Is that capable of doing different day and night temp? I really haven't messed with it too much yet other than having it running in a tank of water to make sure it's good.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's what I have....I think, hang on. Yup...that's what I use. Dual temp heater settings for day and night (or whatever).

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/quietmans-rsr-170-mixed-reef.516092/post-6543653
Would you mind taking a pic of your setup? Curious how you did it with the smart temp...

Also.have you noticed any difference in animal behavior with the different temps day and night? I would assume there should be some since that mimics more of a natural environment

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind taking a pic of your setup? Curious how you did it with the smart temp...

Also.have you noticed any difference in animal behavior with the different temps day and night? I would assume there should be some since that mimics more of a natural environment
Well the pic is really the same as the diagram and less descriptive. I sent link to my build thread page where I talked about how I set it up.

The theory comes from this article.

https://www.reefsmagazine.com/the-great-temperature-debate-part-iv/

I did it for protection against temp extremes (acclimating the corals to be used to temp fluctuations). I suspect that steady, high temps are best for growth rates, but I also suspect (with data in the link) that steady temps negatively impact how corals respond to temp spikes.

I guess it depends on your definition of healthy, if healthy is max growth - then not for you, if healthy is survivability - then you may want to investigate.

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you set about a 3 degree difference night and day. Is that all done with the app? And you have the 3rd setup as a safety?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you set about a 3 degree difference night and day. Is that all done with the app? And you have the 3rd setup as a safety?
Yes essentially except for the app part. This is all manual-ish, don't have the wifi app. Once a month I adjust the controller, takes just a few min.

The 3rd heater is for cold backup if other two trip off for any reason.

I do not have nor do I really want a reef controller. So I designed this so I'm protected against any two faults for the most common failure, high temperature. Not counting loss of electricity or AC in summer, but that's very low risk here.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also like the lower evaporation rates with cooler tank temps and I really don't want super fast growth as I want tank to grow in full without a lot of fragging for appearance.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those old Ranco units? Yeah, bullet proof controllers. Almost went with them, but bit pricey for dual and with multiple backups I feel safe. And I have used Inkbird for years on freshwater without issue. But agree those are awesome.

Now when I start home brewing this spring, I'm probably going with that because...ale. :)

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those old Ranco units? Yeah, bullet proof controllers. Almost went with them, but bit pricey for dual and with multiple backups I feel safe. And I have used Inkbird for years on freshwater without issue. But agree those are awesome.

Now when I start home brewing this spring, I'm probably going with that because...ale. :)
Yeah they are not cheap but they are just so reliable. I really like the Aqua Logic version because the Temp Probe on it looks like it will last about 20-30 years.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they are not cheap but they are just so reliable. I really like the Aqua Logic version because the Temp Probe on it looks like it will last about 20-30 years.
If I had to rely on just one device for temp control instead of backups and more backups, it's what I'd go with. And if the Inkbird ever let's me down, Ranco all the way regardless of cost.

OP
OP
motortrendz

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also like the lower evaporation rates with cooler tank temps and I really don't want super fast growth as I want tank to grow in full without a lot of fragging for appearance.
I got the app hooked up. It seems like I can set the 2 plugs for different set temps. But there doesnt seem to be a way to set a time schedule...

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back