Looking for advice on a specific coral selection

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m attaching a picture of the open spot I have for a coral. I’ve saved it for last, as it’ll be the most visible right front and center. As you can see it can’t grow real high, as there is a ledge with some coral above it, it’s A longer flat piece of rock that should give me a lot of options.

I don’t really have a lot of super cool or unique coral, which I’d like to change with this one. I think the “coolest” one I have is the space invader.

I’m looking for something somewhat rare, unique, with cool colors. Willing to spend in the neighborhood of 300 give or take. Any suggestions are appreciated!!

50B2DD15-6887-486E-9181-74B6B827DC2C.jpeg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd go with a colorful euphyllia. Maybe not a torch as the tentacles could reach up and sting the Duncan as they all grow. But a hammer or frogspawn would be nice, especially if you can find an unusual color.
Agree on the frogspawn. It’s a great looking coral, seems to grow out nicely and moves nicely in the flow

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a scoly in that price range or a real nice chalice. Both are fun to watch eat have great color. The chalice is going to be the easier one to keep. cherrycorals.com has some amazing chalices right now you should take a look. The corals I have recived from them always look great!

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a scoly in that price range or a real nice chalice. Both are fun to watch eat have great color. The chalice is going to be the easier one to keep. cherrycorals.com has some amazing chalices right now you should take a look. The corals I have recived from them always look great!
Wow! Lots on that website. So hard to narrow it down. I like the scolys a lot. They are difficult to keep?

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Lots on that website. So hard to narrow it down. I like the scolys a lot. They are difficult to keep?
Mine is pretty easy acualy I just feed it and its happy. Just need normal lps peramiters and good placment. That spot seems like a good one for it or on sand bed

FB_IMG_1576339268579.jpg

Last edited:

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check on the chalices on there they look pretty amazing. There stuff is closer to picture look that most sites I have recived corals from

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote crazy rainbow chalice or acan ;). Props for having the discipline to plan and give everything its own area to grow out. It will reward you!

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed same as rest of my corals. Once or twice a week. They can have mysis shrimp. Reef chili will be fine but I would get some larger size stuff also.

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also aqua sq has some mini scoly for around 60 dollers but they seem to be a bit diffrent then the larger ones.

Mysis shrimp . That’s what I feed my nem occasionally. That seems waaaay too big for corals. Do I just set it on them? My dwarf Angel will steal it like it does from Nem.

(Thanks so much for all the info!)

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis shrimp . That’s what I feed my nem occasionally. That seems waaaay too big for corals. Do I just set it on them? My dwarf Angel will steal it like it does from Nem.

(Thanks so much for all the info!)
The scoly I have came freash 3 inches so it was a nice size I believe that's standard for the ones like mine. If it's a mini I could see it being to big. Check out some time laps videos on you tube of them feeding it's pretty fun to watch. Iv seen some people feed larger but I dont wanna risk it. The mouth on them seem pretty big. Idk it's hard to explain watching a video of one would give a better insight I think.

ORCA1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m from Wisconsin also! Can’t go wrong with any of the above suggestions. Love LPS and all the colors and types. It’s great to add some movement for catching the eye if there is enough height there like the hammers/octos mentioned. Euphyllia are so cool but in my experience a little harder but not terrible to keep than say an Acan. Otherwise Acans come in so many colors and you would have a wide range of choices. I also have some really beautiful Favia that glow quite a bit and really stand out...but some of them are slower growers so you probably would want at least a small colony.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back