Looking for advice on my 5 month old 13.5 Evo. (warning LOTs of information)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks really really great! It's perfect lighting. Perfect skip cycle reassembly

And that lysmata shrimp: weakest animal in reefing the fact these endure rip cleans really is a testament to the safety of the thorough rinse. By tomorrow the corals will be ready for first good feeding run you've done everything perfectly!

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok how's it lookin today Danno

Lights don't ramp up until 9 AM usually. But nothing is dead so that is cool. (except my digitata looks like it is on it's way out. i think it went through too much trauma from the tank crashing pre clean.)

I won't be able to do this big feed w/ water change until I get some more RO water. I went through almost 8 gallons cleaning this tank and my RO maker is 40 min away at work. Unless it is imperative I do this coral feed+water change today I can go to the store and get another box of premixed saltwater. You tell me.

I will post with a picture later today of the tank.

Here is what I woke up to this morning.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is clean!! It's OK to wait a day for feed if needed. A tiny pinch now won't hurt just wait till you have some replace water to do a bigger feeding

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This light drop to blue + feed + water change exercise rehab coming up is about 90% likely to regenerate the bleaching coral leave it in even if it goes white

The video above is great, that reef is 110% clean

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your whole thread is particularly interesting in tank aging studies and invasion cycling because you kept such good records of the timing and expression

I noticed on page one the starting move was the classic withhold feed and starve as a hands off attempt, this is the most common mode.

And we just changed it up to be totally opposite. *more* feed vs withheld, and zero allowance of invasion by physical force, with no parameter testing and reaction beyond temp and salinity for two months. It's a physical rehab workout plan for your reef, opposite of sedentary mode.

Owners of large reefs who will have a much harder time regaining control of the eutrophic reef can now see lead up markers in your pics that signal doom approaching, and they are about to see how physical rejection of waste + high protein circulation in the water will rebound a misbehaving reef tank.

A nano aquarist is free to attempt all manner of trials, we can just rip clean to equalize any need.

But a large tank owner needs to design their entire system and it's waste export design around never needing a rip clean, they'll have to be far more predictive and creative in design since their accessibility factor is low/ zero depending on tank size.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank went from ***** cranky...

20220607_184645.jpg

To this where things are trying to open. It's better than where I was at...

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how corals always open fullest after a rip clean. about 48 hours after, and they're on their way above for sure. The reason they do that is because accurate safe reef flushing is like a plaqued up mouth visiting a dentist after a long break from dentistry. that'll put a pep in anyone's step; same for a reef. it got poked, rasped, flushed with peroxide, it's interstices flossed, we aren't far from reef dentistry in the work shown above + results, that's for sure.

I'm so glad you shot in video for the reveal Dan it's just great!

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how corals always open fullest after a rip clean. about 48 hours after, and they're on their way above for sure. The reason they do that is because accurate safe reef flushing is like a plaqued up mouth visiting a dentist after a long break from dentistry. that'll put a pep in anyone's step; same for a reef. it got poked, rasped, flushed with peroxide, it's interstices flossed, we aren't far from reef dentistry in the work shown above + results, that's for sure.

I'm so glad you shot in video for the reveal Dan it's just great!

The only coral that is fussy in this tank and has never fully opened or grown are my Illuminati Zoanthids. I have had the same 3 polyps for over a year. It would be cool if they would get their act together considering they were the coral I wanted the most. But for the most part I have given up on them.

I got the rotifers as we as some frozen calanus and to make the cost of shipping worth it a Hannah Nitrate checker to play around with.

None of my local stores has that rotifer brand or even a hannah tester for any parameter.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low Light Day 3:

BlueLightsday3.jpg

Bright Lights Day 3:

Whitelightday3.jpg

Sorry my picture taking abilities suck. There are little tufts of algae that I need to scrape off. Specifically on the rock lower center. That was the worst offender of all this before the rip clean. The rest not so much.

Torch has opened up more. It's an "Incredible Hulk Torch" cause it is the only torch I am comfortable buying at that price point. I have no idea how big it is supposed to get. I know Aussie Torches vs. Indo Torches are different. Bah.

Everybody seems happy. Even my traveling grape ring mushroom that won't sit still. The montiporas coming back is the big wait and see. The digitata is hanging by a thread.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a shocking command of nano reefing you're displaying. That reef is under your thumb like the stones song

it's a siamese cat of a nano reef

This is in the top three rip cleans of all time due to follow up tracking by Danno

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back