OP
OP
mcdrichj

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big tanks are fun but nanos are just as enjoyable imo. Some of my most favorite best all time tanks people have made are nanos.

Get what you want and can legitimately maintain or you will be downgrading. There is a group who wastes money cuz they didn't go big enough and another who wastes money because they went too big.

I am setting up the Seapora 80g and the 16 height is of no bother to me. Why should it be? My 20gs are only 12 inches tall and they never caused me any issues so why would 16?

I am actually following your build. You have that awesome cat.

OP
OP
mcdrichj

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the neighborhood! I just moved from southern NH to MA (temporarily). What part of S NH you moving to? I’ve got some good LFS I can recommend. Also have a bunch of RBTAs I’m trying to sell off when you’re ready! ;)

My suggestion is, if this is a long term move then go bigger. You’re always going to want a bigger tank no matter what size you have. Take your time and don’t skimp on equipment.

I’ve got a 40 breeder now which is perfect for my situation but plan to upgrade once we find a home. Probably in the 90-150 range
We are looking in the New Ipswich area. I am currently located in Westminster, Ma. Where abouts in Mass did you move?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the Seapora 80G tied together as a basement frag system. These are the reef ready ones and I consider them a very good value for the money.

If your intention is to run a reef, IMO you should buy the Reef Ready system and plan for a sump below the display. You will otherwise regret and replace it.

OP
OP
mcdrichj

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the Seapora 80G tied together as a basement frag system. These are the reef ready ones and I consider them a very good value for the money.

If your intention is to run a reef, IMO you should buy the Reef Ready system and plan for a sump below the display. You will otherwise regret and replace it.
I would definitely have a sump for whatever I end up picking. I dont thing I will go with the reef ready because I want to use a bean animal because my overflow needs to be silent (My girlfriend hates water noise).

OP
OP
mcdrichj

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for all of the input I have much to consider. I guess I should wait until everything goes through and I have a spot picked out. I do have a 40b with a sump it just needs a little bit more sand and another light. I can get that out of storage and use that for my temporary setup while I plan. Thanks for the help, I'm glad I asked! Everyone helped me to no be impulsive because I'm super excited to upgrade the tank.

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breadth and Height is what I look for in a tank! The Waterbox I have is 36 x24 x24 gives great viewing all round and you can have the rock so the water flows round the front and back.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the great advice!! Its much appreciated. This is spiraling out of control quickly. So it all started with my old 40b that I converted after I upgraded my cichlid tank to a 75g. Perfect I will move my reef its only 15g (its only 15 because im out of space and I really wanted a reef) into the 40b. Well after looking at my 75 and thinking this would make a cool reef. This is where I found the seapora for a good price so I figured I could upgrade. Now you guys have me thinking about a 120 and beyond. I think I need to sit and do some pricing out. I will report back in a bit after I mill this over.

Keep an eye out for used tank setups if you decide to go 120g/bigger.
I realize NH is not likely to have many sellers but don’t be afraid to negotiate and make a road trip with someone within a few hours away.
You could snatch a great deal if someone is getting out of the hobby.

OP
OP
mcdrichj

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye out for used tank setups if you decide to go 120g/bigger.
I realize NH is not likely to have many sellers but don’t be afraid to negotiate and make a road trip with someone within a few hours away.
You could snatch a great deal if someone is getting out of the hobby.
Thanks, I will take a look and see whats out there.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't put a used tank in a new home.
"Big" is great until you can't reach across it or down to the bottom of the tank without getting your sleeve wet.

Waiting until you know the actual space you'll have to fill is the correct answer for now. Otherwise, it is just a gamble if your dream tank will fit your dream house. If you buy your dream tank now you'll have to measure prospective houses to make sure it fits.

Girlfriends are more complicated than tanks, and I never give advice on girlfriends. If I did I would suggest that you get one who likes water noises, loves to clean the tank glass and do water changes, and one who will work tirelessly without complaining to earn money to support you and your hobby.

From my old home with wet sleeves,
Don't ask me about the rest, let's just say I'm recovering from being impulsive. ;)
Kris

OP
OP
mcdrichj

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't put a used tank in a new home.
"Big" is great until you can't reach across it or down to the bottom of the tank without getting your sleeve wet.

Waiting until you know the actual space you'll have to fill is the correct answer for now. Otherwise, it is just a gamble if your dream tank will fit your dream house. If you buy your dream tank now you'll have to measure prospective houses to make sure it fits.

Girlfriends are more complicated than tanks, and I never give advice on girlfriends. If I did I would suggest that you get one who likes water noises, loves to clean the tank glass and do water changes, and one who will work tirelessly without complaining to earn money to support you and your hobby.

From my old home with wet sleeves,
Don't ask me about the rest, let's just say I'm recovering from being impulsive. ;)
Kris
She is sweet and will help me if I ask her (like adding pods to my tank when the came in today thanks @AlgaeBarn). She likes looking at the tank and watching the fish just hates water noise.

K95ranger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a older red sea max 250 all in one. It's 36"w x 16"d x 18"h and hold 65g and I think it's the perfect size. Not no much work for water changes and maintenance. But still a good selection of fishes for a 65g tank. Just depends on what you want to put in the tank.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger is not always better. You should really buy the house before you buy the tank. A tank needs to be in a place you enjoy it the most. I would rather see a 3' tank 90% of the time instead of a 4' tank 10% of the time because it doesn't fit in my room I spend 90% of my time in.

I went from a 55 to a 120 to a 300, back to a 112 gallon 5'x24"x18" tall. The 300 was too much work for what I wanted. I like the 18 inch tall. It lets me look down from the top easily. If it was 20" it would be better, but I wouldn't trade for a 24" tall

+1
Remember big boat, big sail...........

That 5'x24"x18" is a dream tank for me. Is it customed? Deep enough for aquascaping, and just tall enough for reaching the bottom from front to back without using a step stool. Personally, I'll stay away from any tank that's more than 20" tall.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is sweet and will help me if I ask her (like adding pods to my tank when the came in today thanks @AlgaeBarn). She likes looking at the tank and watching the fish just hates water noise.
There is a lesson here. Fish tank people are numb to tank noise, almost everyone else dislikes it. When I still had my 300 gal. freshwater tank fish people would comment about how nice and quiet it was just because the drain didn’t gurgle. My wife tolerated the fan noise in the lights, and non fish tank people would point out that the room was too loud to read in, but ok otherwise. You can make silent overflows with a reef ready tank, you just need to plan it out.

As for size, I agree that getting the house first is key. You should keep the tank in mind when selecting the house, but at least that way you have the choice to turn down the house or change tank plans rather than one forcing the other.

Personally I like width and depth more than height. Having gotten used tanks they all tend to be taller than I want, but not as big front to back as I want.

Yes, 24” front to back really is that much better than 18”, which is at least twice as good as 12”. A 55 is about impossible to decorate as a planted tank, and harder as a reef. A 75 is very doable, and a 120 is easy.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back