Looking for advice on tank size

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm waiting to buy a house in southern New Hampshire as soon as something decent shows up on the market. Anyway, I am making preparations to upgrade my 15 gallon nano to a real tank. I am trying to get most of the equipment together for the tank so I can set it up to make a smooth transition when I do the transfer. However, I'm stuck on the tank size. I have been looking at the Seapora Edge 75 gallon and 80 gallon. I know that I want a 4 foot long tank anything larger would cost too much with everything I would need while trying to buy a house. This will be my main reef tank. So the 75 gallon is 48x18x20 and the 80 gallon is 48x24x16. Is a tank width of 24" that much better than 18"? If so is 16" deep enough or should I look at a 90 - 120 gal tank? I need to add that I got a quote from my LFS for the Seapora Edge 75 @ $399.99 (it is the non reef ready rimless) so I'm guessing the Edge 80 would be no more than $450. If I do look for a bigger tank is there anything that would even be remotely close in price? I appreciate any advice!!!!!

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The things to consider with the tank's width are aquascape things ... a wider (front to back) tank will give you more flexibility there and also give the fish more room to do laps etc.

Depth-wise there's again more 'scape stuff to consider. Often an only rock tank looks cool with rock going way high but once the corals start growing you might think "oops... maybe that rock is piled up too high and the coral don't have much vertical space to grow".

Also - arm length and maintenance are a thing with the depth. getting a tank that's too tall will make it harder to reach your arms to the bottom to clean, rearrange stuff etc.

I got a Reefer 350 (about 75g display) which is 47" wide (20" x 20" on other axis) and I kinda wish I'd gotten a 120 (48x24x24) instead... the major footprint is roughly the same but the extra water volume & space would give me more flexibility on livestock, aquascaping etc

OP
OP
mcdrichj

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't consider my arm length and they are pretty short but usually when I cant reach something I just make my girlfriend do it because she is taller and her arms are longer. I like the idea of a 24" wide tank I'm pretty unsure that 16" is deep enough and that's just tank height not even water height.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't consider my arm length and they are pretty short but usually when I cant reach something I just make my girlfriend do it because she is taller and her arms are longer. I like the idea of a 24" wide tank I'm pretty unsure that 16" is deep enough and that's just tank height not even water height.

im a pretty short guy (5' 5) and reaching into my 20" Reefer is fine. I mostly meant way tall would be a problem like a 28+" depth

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger the better!
6F821608-8E88-4968-AFF1-D485CC0A71B4.gif

ScottieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s actually a pretty good series on BRStv (the you tube channel and the podcast) on building a “dream tank”. There’s a lot of talk of size and shape consideration.

A few take aways i thought were valuable: height is dependent on how you plan to enjoy the tank. Sitting in an office or standing in a hallway? When in doubt they suggest the overall height should be: stand+tank=armpit height.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the 24” depth, gives you so much more room to play with aquascape.
The 120g would be a good choice for a 4’ tank.
I had a 4’ 150g tall at one time and loved the dimensions, except it was 30” tall and a pain at times to deal with.

ACF930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Go with the 24” depth, gives you so much more room to play with aquascape.
The 120g would be a good choice for a 4’ tank.
I had a 4’ 150g tall at one time and loved the dimensions, except it was 30” tall and a pain at times to deal with.
I agree. You can't go wrong with a 120. It gives you a decent depth for aquascaping and the height is not a PITA to work in. Rimless would look nice too.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t buy a tank until I knew the space it was going in. I know that’s not what you want to hear, but I think it’s a major factor for most of us. I have the seapora 135 and it’s a great tank. I went 6’ long 18” wide, 25” tall because it’s in an area of high traffic. 24” width wouldn’t leave enough room between the tank and the back of the couch.

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 for the win. 24” width and 24” height is the sweet spot for most people. Enough depth and height for nice aquascaping.

Word of advice.... go with the tank you really want and don’t settle. If you settle it’ll only mean that long term you’ll most likely want to upgrade to a larger or smaller tank

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word of advice.... go with the tank you really want and don’t settle. If you settle it’ll only mean that long term you’ll most likely want to upgrade to a larger or smaller tank
This. By the time it’s all up and running a couple hundred more or even a few hundred is nothing and you’ll wish you’d gotten what you really wanted.

OP
OP
mcdrichj

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the great advice!! Its much appreciated. This is spiraling out of control quickly. So it all started with my old 40b that I converted after I upgraded my cichlid tank to a 75g. Perfect I will move my reef its only 15g (its only 15 because im out of space and I really wanted a reef) into the 40b. Well after looking at my 75 and thinking this would make a cool reef. This is where I found the seapora for a good price so I figured I could upgrade. Now you guys have me thinking about a 120 and beyond. I think I need to sit and do some pricing out. I will report back in a bit after I mill this over.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bigger is better in the long run. I don't mean you need a 200 gallon+ but larger tanks are more forgiving due to volume and allowing you to stock endlessly versus small systems.
75 gallon would be a minimum and 125-180g being ideal. LOTS OF ROOM WITHOUT LOTS OF WEIGHT.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger the tank the bigger the costs which grow exponentially. I like my 65 gal and wouldn't go any larger with how busy my life is. To each their own.

pgammon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger the tank the bigger the costs which grow exponentially. I like my 65 gal and wouldn't go any larger with how busy my life is. To each their own.

This, I am downsizing from a 120 to a 65. I didn't realize how much of my living room I would lose, and maintenance has just gotten to be a bit much for me.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big tanks are fun but nanos are just as enjoyable imo. Some of my most favorite best all time tanks people have made are nanos.

Get what you want and can legitimately maintain or you will be downgrading. There is a group who wastes money cuz they didn't go big enough and another who wastes money because they went too big.

I am setting up the Seapora 80g and the 16 height is of no bother to me. Why should it be? My 20gs are only 12 inches tall and they never caused me any issues so why would 16?

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every person has what they would consider their “perfect” size tank. I tend to agree with most here... 4’x2’x2’ is typically the sweet spot for most. I’ve had tanks ranging from 18g to 120g over the years and found that size perfect. But I downgraded when the wife went back to school because of time constraints and budget. In the 120g range You are not so limited as you would be in a smaller tank as far as live stock is concerned and aquascaping. Maintenance does take a bit longer, but parameters swing much less.

Sure my weekly maintenance on my 25g take me 10 minutes, but if I miss one WC, or media change, or my ATO goes nuts I’m behind the 8ball and as far as stocking is concerned it doesn’t take long at all to fill up.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the neighborhood! I just moved from southern NH to MA (temporarily). What part of S NH you moving to? I’ve got some good LFS I can recommend. Also have a bunch of RBTAs I’m trying to sell off when you’re ready! ;)

My suggestion is, if this is a long term move then go bigger. You’re always going to want a bigger tank no matter what size you have. Take your time and don’t skimp on equipment.

I’ve got a 40 breeder now which is perfect for my situation but plan to upgrade once we find a home. Probably in the 90-150 range

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger is not always better. You should really buy the house before you buy the tank. A tank needs to be in a place you enjoy it the most. I would rather see a 3' tank 90% of the time instead of a 4' tank 10% of the time because it doesn't fit in my room I spend 90% of my time in.

I went from a 55 to a 120 to a 300, back to a 112 gallon 5'x24"x18" tall. The 300 was too much work for what I wanted. I like the 18 inch tall. It lets me look down from the top easily. If it was 20" it would be better, but I wouldn't trade for a 24" tall

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back