Looking for advice planning my first reef tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sockcman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Deck screws, not drywall screws. Drywall screws snap like toothpicks if stressed.

You barely need any screws for such a small project anyway so don't skimp here. Just buy the smallest quantity you can so you don't over-spend.

On the other hand, you can save and use all the leftover screws, so it's not like any money spend on extras screws is wasted. Use em on the next project!!
 
^Yes, deck screws are better if you have them.

If the design is right, the screws are just used to hold the wood together, not carry the weight of the tank. The stand should be designed so weight is transferred directly down through the lumber into the floor, instead of relying on screws to carry the load.
 
The first thing I think every reefer should buy especially when under a budget is water parameter test kits.

Its that important. Alkalinity, Calcium, Nitrates, Phosphates.

My 20 gallon in the 2000s. Would have been better off if I had done this.

I would also budget for autotop off.

HOB and intank filtration will be fine. Works for my 40breeder.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 14.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new