Looking for another refugium light

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I recently tried a AI 16HD Fuge light for my 240's refugium and after a week and a half I can already see a big difference in my cheato growth and appearance.
I've always used just a cheap clamp-on fixture with any 5k spot light bulb from one of the big box stores.
But after putting in a new sump and trying a new style light, I'm impressed.
So I'm going to replace the light I use on my small tank's refugium.
I need a light that is similar to the AI Fuge light but smaller. The area is about 10" x 12".
The AI Fuge light is way overkill for this small of a area so, what's a good one for this size?
One light I'm looking at is the Reef Breeders Refugium led.
What else that's designed for macro algae?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most anyone will work, really. I personally think refugium lighting is over-engineered. I have Home Depot stick-on strip LED's and am amazon special red-blue cheapo. Works like a champ. I have the grow light on for 4 hours and the standard 6500K HD strips on for 8.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Most anyone will work, really. I personally think refugium lighting is over-engineered. I have Home Depot stick-on strip LED's and am amazon special red-blue cheapo. Works like a champ. I have the grow light on for 4 hours and the standard 6500K HD strips on for 8.
I've always cheapo bulbs from the box stores, and it did seem to work. For a very long time.
But after giving that AI Fuge light a shot, I was really impressed to how fast the chaeto has grown. Not just the amount, it also looks much healthier than it did before.
Using the 5k spot bulbs always created hot spots that turned the chaeto white on top so I would have to manually rotate the mass every few days. ( Once it gets to a certain size it doesn't do it on it's own, even with a powerhead in the refugium)
I was always skeptical of the red light/grow light crowds claims, but I am seeing some good results early on.
Plus I want to get away from the cheap clamp-on fixture which always turns rusty pretty fast.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back