Looking for best gravel vac for small/weak hands

ChristineInMaryland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here have a recommendation for a gravel vacuum/siphon that’s easy to start for those of us with small and/or weak hands? I started with the Laifoo gravel vac from Amazon and that was working fine for a couple months, but eventually I couldn’t start a siphon anymore. I just got the Aqueon 10” gravel vac and that siphon bulb is way too difficult for me to handle (it’s huge and the plastic is too firm).

I know I can handle water changes with pumps if need be, but I’d really like to be able to vacuum the sand if possible.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have some that you start by shaking a few times to get it primed, but you might be best off with a Python. It's a long hose that connects to a sink, like this:

When you turn on the sink, the water rushing through it will start the siphon for you. Personally, when I used one, I'd shut the water off and move the hose to a lower drain (I moved from the bathroom sink to the bathtub). It was slower, but I didn't have to have the water running the entire time either.

Another alternative is to periodically kick up the sand and let your mechanical filtration take care of the rest.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh, thanks. I’ll check that out!
Where the python comes in really nice is with a freshwater tank. After you finish using it to drain some of the water, you flip a switch on it and the water from the sink gets pushed to the tank instead of down the drain. That's really it's claim to fame. One hose, with one connection and you could drain and refill the tank without much effort.
Of course, one of the perks of having fresh water fish is that it's just tap water, which makes the Python rather convenient.

Also, since you want to use it for vacuuming gravel, the trick is to fold the hose (like you do with a garden hose to stop it), to stop the flow and let the gravel/sand fall back out of it while maintaining the siphon.

OP
OP
C

ChristineInMaryland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do weak hands have to do with sucking on a hose to start a syphon :thinking-face:

Just kidding I'm an old country boy and have starting a syphon by mouth perfected.
Haha. I definitely used to mouth siphon years ago, but I’m definitely hoping to avoid it now!

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@F i s h y ?

Any recommendations?
I'm not allowed to post on threads like this...

200w (2).gif

zfisk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s also a technique where you fill the gravel vac with water, elevate it above the drain hose out of the water so it begins to drain then quickly re-submerging the gravel vac back underneath the water before it catches too much air and it’ll start your siphon. Good luck and hope this helps.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back