Looking for chiller recommendation 500g - Garage Tank

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Average summer temps in the 88F, with overnight lows of 55F. Occasionally we'll hit around 105 with nights in the 80s - but its rare. Running on fans - I've hit 87 in tank a few times the last couple of years but the evaporation and humidity in the garage was excessive.

What are peoples opinion of drop-ins as opposed to flow through chillers?

And any opinions experiences with Aqua-logic or Trade-wind brands?

Are there other brands that you might recommend.

Thanks for any feedback...

Robert.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trade winds super 1/3 HP. Amazing little beast. Super reliable and very quick to cool down my 230 gallon tank (total volume)

OP
OP
robert

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I've seen good reviews of the trade winds chillers. Do you have the drop in or flow through? Hows the noise?

I'm debating 1/3 or 1/2 hp. 1/3 is a little small for the hottest days but I probably could get away with it with the help of a fan.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I've seen good reviews of the trade winds chillers. Do you have the drop in or flow through? Hows the noise?

I'm debating 1/3 or 1/2 hp. 1/3 is a little small for the hottest days but I probably could get away with it with the help of a fan.
Is garage insulated

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a few chillers over the years. TradeWinds hands down my favorite. I’m using the 3/4HP on my system (approx 700 gallons). Probably could get away with 1/2HP, but I bought it second hand so BCBC.

OP
OP
robert

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garage is not insulated but its big - so it doesn't heat too quickly..usually by the time the sun is going down its cool enough outside to open the door and everything is ok. But occasionally we'll get some humidity for a few days and then I'm in trouble. Luckily I've not been out of town so I can lights out during the hot spells and I've avoided any disasters - but I'm going to get caught soon or later.

Seems like Trade winds has a good rep...I've not found anything negative...and they carry good price.

Anyone use the drop-in models? What do you think of them? Are they more efficient?

Crazyfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this may sound super odd. But I e always wondered cause I have my filtration for my tank going into my garage. But just as an experiment. Buying a cheap used fridge and cutting 2 small holes and run tubing alltbrough out it. Hey it’s just an idea to try out. Cause I see used fridges for cheap all the time. And a couple bucks of tubing. Food for thought.

OP
OP
robert

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this may sound super odd. But I e always wondered cause I have my filtration for my tank going into my garage. But just as an experiment. Buying a cheap used fridge and cutting 2 small holes and run tubing alltbrough out it. Hey it’s just an idea to try out. Cause I see used fridges for cheap all the time. And a couple bucks of tubing. Food for thought.

After four years, I finally ran enough power over to my tank so that I don't have to run 4 extension cords across the floor from different circuits...
I have every intention of doing it right this time...I think...at least I plan to. But I'll keep the thought in mind. I'm already running a pool filter and pump.
Don't encourage me.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I tried that 20 years ago - it doesn't work. The reason it doesn't work, obvious to me now perhaps not so then, is that a fridge is sized to be able to keep a confined space cool not a continuously replenished heat source. Doesn't have nearly the BTUs to be useful on all but the smallest of tanks.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would probably be more cost effective in the long run to insulate the garage and run a window/portable room AC unit to just cool the ambient air in the garage, not to mention make it a lot more fun to maintain it on those hot days.

OP
OP
robert

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a finished garage so there's no insulating it without a lot of work. Plus I just laid Plywood in the attic over it for storage. Would have been a good idea.

Son saw my post and bought be a 3/4HP Trade Winds - going to install it outside and plumb through the walls back to the tank. Looks about ideal for what I need.
Appreciate all the advice and feedback.

OP
OP
robert

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool stuff. You should get your son to buy you solar panels too. [emoji57]

Too late - I already broke down and bought them...how else could I afford the power to run a chiller...this is Cali, where everyone gets discounted power except the taxpayer...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back