looking for chiton species suggestions while I move along in my own personal search

Old Man Of The Sea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope all are having a great Thanksgiving day with their families. Before I took off after a whole day yesterday with my five year old twins grandson and granddaughter I ran a quick check for selecting a number of possible chitons that I might have in my reef tanks as a part of a cleaning crew. I only began this look into possibly having this species and I know that they grow as small as a few mm to lord knows how large the largest. Im only interested if totally reef safe, for the smaller ones as far as I know should feed on algae. In this clean up crew, im looking into sea cucumbers and starfishes as well, besides the sand sifter that is. Also in the starting of the reef tank, I would only start with snails and hermits. I wouldn't start to get any of these until the tanks are well aged and that includes the sea urchin as well. So with the chitons, any who are using these should add great input to my search and also any other suggestions that might be a good idea to look into for a greater cleaning crew for the reef tanks.

Buddy

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never actually seen any for sale large or small, but I do have some in my tank that came in on live rock the largest being the size of an eraserhead. I have never seen them really efffect and of the amounts of algea that I have either. So as far as using them in a clean up crew specificlly I would try and look for the larger ones if you could find them, still not sure if they are totally reef safe as I'm sure there are some that will eat coral of some type.

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same here id be happy to start setting some aside for you when i come across them if you want to pay shipping.

OP
OP
O

Old Man Of The Sea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more then happy to pay, only thing is, it needs to be correctly ID to which of the species it is for I wouldn't want a larger growing of the species in the tanks>

Back