Looking for critique/advice on my aquascape

Kateaclysm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I'm Kate, I'm a beginner reefer from Sydney Australia and I've been lurking on the R2R forums for a few weeks but finally joined and would love to get some critique on my aquascape design. I've had freshwater tanks on and off for years but my husband and I recently bought our first marine tank, an Aqua One MiniReef 120 which we're about to start cycling. It's 120 Litres, 60cm(w) x 45cm (h) x 45cm (d). After lots of youtubing/reading this is the rough design I've come up with. It's just a rough idea held together with rubber bands at the moment, I'm planning to make the arch a bit higher and fill in all the little gaps + the part on the right hand side I'd like to make into more of a small cave.

I'm just not sure whether this layout would actually work well and if there's anything I should move/add/take out? We'll be starting with a couple of clowns, some beginner corals, shrimp and hopefully some gobies, maybe a mandarin fish later down the track.

Thanks in advance!

Video View (the black lines are the inner dimensions of the tank and the bit in the back left corner is the overflow cover)

20211031_134625.jpg

Front view
20211031_134644.jpg

Top View
20211031_134644.jpg

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Dark Side...

Welcome.jpg

Aquascaping is a highly personal subject. Like asking someone how to arrange your living room. As far as it goes, as long as you have good flow and places for the livestock to feel safe, that is what matters.

That said, if you ask my personal opinion, I would go slightly higher with the main piece. Gives you more to look at. I like a minimalist look for smaller tanks. Gives more of the feel of space.

Congrats on the new tank and glad to have you join the family,

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty cool to me. Aquascaping is so subjective. I’ve seen many piles of rocks that people say look amazing. Go with what works for you and don’t put much stock in what people say.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,welcome to the reef... :)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No where for fish to hide.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back