Looking for Custom Sump Options

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone on R2R,

Well as the title states I'm looking for companies (or individuals) that build custom sumps. As well as sump designs/suggestions!

I've been in the hobby for 17+ year, 12 of which with my 180-gl sps tank. And quite frankly I'm tired of working out of a 75-gl glass sump that really wasn't designed all that well many moons ago.

I have a full maintenance room in my basement and it's time for a serious upgrade. I can fit a 76" x 24" x 16" sump configuration.

So let them fly and give your suggestions on companies or people from past experience. PM if you feel more comfortable sharing info.

Also, while we're at it PLESAE feel free to go over any sump configurations. What's the latest and greatest "must haves" in sump design. What are some of your "can't live without" designs/setups? What are some of your regrets, etc, etc?

Thank you very much in advance for any help you can provide....all the best and happy reefing

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tyler at Elite Aquatics. Find him on Facebook. By far one of the best and can build anything. When you find him on FB, take a look at his past stuff.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sump will be huge so it is probably not going to be a problem but if the sump is euro braced it takes away from useable space within a sump. Makes MRX makes custom sumps aw well. A little closer to you well at least on the eastern seaboard.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone on R2R,

Well as the title states I'm looking for companies (or individuals) that build custom sumps. As well as sump designs/suggestions!

I've been in the hobby for 17+ year, 12 of which with my 180-gl sps tank. And quite frankly I'm tired of working out of a 75-gl glass sump that really wasn't designed all that well many moons ago.

I have a full maintenance room in my basement and it's time for a serious upgrade. I can fit a 76" x 24" x 16" sump configuration.

So let them fly and give your suggestions on companies or people from past experience. PM if you feel more comfortable sharing info.

Also, while we're at it PLESAE feel free to go over any sump configurations. What's the latest and greatest "must haves" in sump design. What are some of your "can't live without" designs/setups? What are some of your regrets, etc, etc?

Thank you very much in advance for any help you can provide....all the best and happy reefing
I have one of these. Absolutely love it overall. The only thing I wasn't happy with was the 6 month wait to get it. Otherwise, couldn't be happier. It's a killer set up.
https://advancedacrylics.com/collec...acrylic-combo-sump-ato-reservoir-and-refugium

Pivitol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say check out Lifereef, while I don't have any experience with his sumps, I do have a Lifereef skimmer and it's built like a brick $#ithouse. Only problem with his sumps I have seen is, he is so busy there is a wait list.

OP
OP
turfster26

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tyler at Elite Aquatics. Find him on Facebook. By far one of the best and can build anything. When you find him on FB, take a look at his past stuff.

Thanks so much rparty. I've messaged him on FB and waiting to hear back. You've always been so hopeful to me and others through the years on these forums. And your posts are always very informative. Greatly appreciate your help....all the best.

Your sump will be huge so it is probably not going to be a problem but if the sump is euro braced it takes away from useable space within a sump. Makes MRX makes custom sumps aw well. A little closer to you well at least on the eastern seaboard.

Thanks for the heads up about MRC, but I'll stay clear from using them. Their CS has taken a major turn for the worst and have no means of tech support and means of contacting them if anything goes wrong with their product(s) other than email support....NO THANKS when spending that kinda of money. Sad b/c I always used their products and built like a tank....but trying getting it repair, etc.

I have one of these. Absolutely love it overall. The only thing I wasn't happy with was the 6 month wait to get it. Otherwise, couldn't be happier. It's a killer set up.
https://advancedacrylics.com/collec...acrylic-combo-sump-ato-reservoir-and-refugium

Yes, this company is very high on my list and Dan and John have been great so far. In process of getting design ideas and price quotes. Just looking at 1 or 2 more options to make sure I'm getting what I need and price affordable. That's why I am querying out to others.

I would say check out Lifereef, while I don't have any experience with his sumps, I do have a Lifereef skimmer and it's built like a brick $#ithouse. Only problem with his sumps I have seen is, he is so busy there is a wait list.

Jeff, and LR products, are GREAT. But custom stuff is very expensive and his lead time in the past has been 6+ months which I can't wait that long.

THANKS so much everyone for your replies....all been very helpful. Keep them coming. I want a really nice custom sump....god knows I've waited too long.

sp0di

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out geosreef.com the guy is very easy to work with. He is a one man shop, so 4-6 weeks is normal, but can make just about anything you need.

OP
OP
turfster26

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out geosreef.com the guy is very easy to work with. He is a one man shop, so 4-6 weeks is normal, but can make just about anything you need.

Thank you....I completely forgot about Geo's. I reached out to him today to see what his thoughts are and pricing.

Thx again

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 for Jeff at lifereef, yes the wait is long but anything custom will be a considerable wait. I have an entire setup from him and from the first call to the time it was delivered was about 4 months. And it was worth the wait.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought one from Crystal Reef Aquatics. They have 2 "off the shelf" 60x22x16 sumps. I won't recieve it for a couple weeks, but it's the biggest non-custom sump that is produced from what I've found. I really like the designs and the price is much easier to swallow as I was also looking to go cutom before I saw these.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sent you a PM with my experience doing something similar. To sum it up, I found that if you are going larger than standard, most of the companies that build standard sumps make the prices skyrocket. Best pricing and customization I found was with Modular Marine.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sent you a PM with my experience doing something similar. To sum it up, I found that if you are going larger than standard, most of the companies that build standard sumps make the prices skyrocket. Best pricing and customization I found was with Modular Marine.

This is also what I found when trying to find a 60" or larger sump wider than 18". I wanted minimum if 20" wide up to 24", but those extra inches were gonna cost me double to triple from the couple guys I contacted vs their non-custom sumps.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is also what I found when trying to find a 60" or larger sump wider than 18". I wanted minimum if 20" wide up to 24", but those extra inches were gonna cost me double to triple from the couple guys I contacted vs their non-custom sumps.

Yeah, I had one reply back saying it wasn't even worth trying to quote. I ended up with a 48x30 footprint sump from Modular Marine for less than $900 designed exactly to my specs.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with large sumps is the amount of wasted acrylic they produce, which ends up being added to your bill at the end of it all.

MAREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I had one reply back saying it wasn't even worth trying to quote. I ended up with a 48x30 footprint sump from Modular Marine for less than $900 designed exactly to my specs.
Can you post a picture of your sump from them? I am looking at going with them as well. Their overflow is quality.

OP
OP
turfster26

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest update....I think I have it narrowed down to one manufacturer in Texas and may get lucky and may have found one fairly local. Just waiting on quotes and availability.

What's surprising is at least four different companies didn't even bother to return my phone calls or emails, which is very frustrating. And two others quoted ridiculous rates when I used the word "custom". Sorry I did not want a stock setup. Everyone's needs after different and one sump fits all is not always the case....but I remain and sorry for venting.

Thanks so much everyone for all their help thus far. And special thanks to Caravanshaka for his help as well. What a great hobby community!

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Latest update....I think I have it narrowed down to one manufacturer in Texas and may get lucky and may have found one fairly local. Just waiting on quotes and availability.

What's surprising is at least four different companies didn't even bother to return my phone calls or emails, which is very frustrating. And two others quoted ridiculous rates when I used the word "custom". Sorry I did not want a stock setup. Everyone's needs after different and one sump fits all is not always the case....but I remain and sorry for venting.

Thanks so much everyone for all their help thus far. And special thanks to Caravanshaka for his help as well. What a great hobby community!
what companies didn't reply? which companies quoted what? what do you consider ridiculous rates?

just want to help clarify and edify those that read your post to ensure we are on the same page and are in similar page. thanks!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Tyler at Elite Aquatics. I got one of his stock sumps, but with some revisions. I believe he has started selling stock designs through some of the online retailers, so his old web site was taken down the last time I looked. He is still building custom sumps through his Facebook page. Great guy to work with and does excellent work. Turnaround time was good also.

OP
OP
turfster26

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what companies didn't reply? which companies quoted what? what do you consider ridiculous rates?

just want to help clarify and edify those that read your post to ensure we are on the same page and are in similar page. thanks!

It's not appropriate to mention names or blast specific companies. I was mainly venting becuase it frustrating when you can't even get a return call or reply email. I gues business is that good for some that new bsuiness is not needed. And I called and emailed more than once in each instance.

And once you mention the word "custom" and/or go "outside the numbers" the price will jump considerably. Most want to build stock sumps and stay away from custom orders.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back