Looking for feedback on my 240g stocking plan

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a draft stocking plan for a 240g (6' x 30" x 25" high)
I do plan to keep corals, but I want a lot of fish activity and I really like to see pairs or groups of the same species.

I was thinking of introducing them gradually, in this order. Maybe the CUC (including shrimps and goby) together with the anthias since that's when the heavy feeding will really start. My wife wants a clownfish pair, which I have not included below. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Also, skimmer recommendations accepted! I have an AquaC EV 180 leftover from an older tank but I suspect that won't keep up once I get going so I'll need an upgrade. For other filtration I will experiment with filter socks and I have a good sized refugium for algae and extra rock/substrate.

cardinalfish group of 4
chromis viridis (group of 6-10)
lyretail anthias (group of 5-7)
sandsifting goby (yellow watchman or similar w/commensal shrimp)
shrimp: skunk cleaners or peppermints
CUC: snails & crabs
* Bluethroat triggerfish
bluestreak cleaner wrasse or neon goby
bannerfish
* tangs: convict pair or group plus one more TBD
* emperor or queen angel

* Larger fish, to introduce later and watch for aggression, coral predation

By the way, I know that the chromis and anthias groups may kill each other off within each group, but I'm hoping the tank size, rock work, and heavy feeding will allow them to establish and spread aggression. Going with even numbered chromis group and odd (young females with hopefully one male) for the anthias group. Hoping the cardinalfish will pair off.

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not get the angels or the trigger if you intend to get any corals. Just not a risk I would take. I have not kept either fish though, just what I have read from articles by Mike Paletta and some others. Both of those fish were previously on my list as well. I might risk a regal angel though, seems a lot of people have not had issues with that one. My tank goals are to keep a coral tank with fish, where you seem to want a fish tank with some coral. If you stick to sps you could be fine. Fleshy lps would be the first “taste tests” as soon the fish gets hungry. Same thing with the shrimp. Just a thought, good luck.

Snooty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large angelfish in reef in dangerous. Go neon goby over cleaner wrasse for sure. I have a cleaner wrasse currently. Very interesting but attacks my maxima clam and pesters fish badly. Harasses to death smaller additions. Anthias have a potential to work but a lot of times a dominant Male will kill off females. I'd imagine many regular feedings would help. I'd have neon goby added to tank before blue throat because once he gets established he would probably think neon is feeder fish. Make sure to get the right strain of banner fish. Lots of cool alternatives like kole, tomini, yellow mimic tangs,etc. That are good lower aggression choices. Convicts are good but I'd be careful because two is hardly ever good unless like you said you can really ensure a pair. My tank is a 220 gallon for what it's worth. Hope this helps.

Snooty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a blue throat with success in a reef. The males are beautiful. Females not so much. There is a sargassum trigger as well. But it is true some individuals can wreak havoc. Cant have clams or ornamental shrimp. Mine went straight for my pistol shrimp when I added the trigger. But left my corals alone.

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a blue throat with success in a reef. The males are beautiful. Females not so much. There is a sargassum trigger as well. But it is true some individuals can wreak havoc. Cant have clams or ornamental shrimp. Mine went straight for my pistol shrimp when I added the trigger. But left my corals alone.
So maybe there is hope for the blue throat trigger, thanks for sharing your experience.

Snooty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So maybe there is hope for the blue throat trigger, thanks for sharing your experience.
Definitely. I loved my Male. Ate well and showed beautifully. Other than the initial shrimp chase which he never got because the pistol let him have it he was great. I actually thought about getting one again but I wouldn't now with my maxima. Fish are very unique. For wrasse I personally have had three beautiful Christmas wrasse with no issues. Just wouldn't put him with feather dusters. Currently have a suuuuper mean powder blue who is eating all my xenia colony and is devouring my green torch coral. Not typical but this stuff happens unfortunately. A bannerfish especially in a school can be stunning.

OP
OP
SteveG_inDC

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bluethroat trigger is not like most triggers. Not corallivore or aggressive. From what I've read, only risk is to shrimp and small fish.

As for angels, I've seen a lot of examples of well-fed specimens leaving SPS corals alone, so it would be a wait and watch. I have such a soft spot for angels that I want to try. I've only kept pygmy angels before because my tank was smaller.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back