Looking for Feedback on New Tank Plan

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have been out of the hobby for the past 3 years or so due to moving into a new home and money going to home projects instead of buying a tank. Time has finally come for me to buy a new setup though and I would like a sanity check or any general feedback on my plan. The equipment I plan on getting on day 1 is listed below:
  • Redsea 300XL G2
  • Cor15 Return Pump
  • NYOS 120 Skimmer
  • 1x MP10 (specs say max glass thickness is .375” but many people say it works with no issue on .5” as well)
  • Neptune Apex A3 w/ Extra Energy Bar
  • 300W titanium heater
  • 200W titanium heater (redundant backup)
  • 75GPD RO/DI system
I will be using all dry rock for building the scape and will have 1-2” of sand on the base. For the cycle I plan on buying 10lbs of “Premium Deco Live Rock” from Gulf Live Rock to help with seeding and biodiversity. This rock will only live in the sump to try and reduce the risk of unwanted pests (gorilla crabs, etc.) of making it into the display. I also plan on still using a quick cycle supplement (Dr. Tim’s or similar).

After the cycle I will be purchasing the following prior to fish or coral being introduced:
  • ReefMat 500
  • Radion XR15 (x2)
  • Another MP10 if necessary at the time
My goal is to have a primarily LPS/SPS dominant tank and without having actively been in reefing for several years I want some more experienced eyes on my plan to see if I'm missing anything major. Thank you!

OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, might want two wavemakers.
How critical is this with the cycle? My thought was to buy one the help keep the water oxygenated and then a second once the cycle is done and im getting ready to stock. Thanks!

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How critical is this with the cycle? My thought was to buy one the help keep the water oxygenated and then a second once the cycle is done and im getting ready to stock. Thanks!

Really shouldn't matter with the cycle.

Maybe put the first one lower in the tank pointed up to get more agitation why cycling?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back