Looking for feedback on proposed propagation setup

coralfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you going to only use one surge per tank? have you thought about using several smaller surges instead
DSC02747.JPG
have you done anything about protecting/sealing the garage

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you given any thought to a raceway style system? If you haven't looked into it, you might want to. Also, you would do very well to read Anthony Calfo's Book of Coral Propogation if you haven't already. It's filled with great ideas.

CJ

OP
OP
steveb

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you going to only use one surge per tank? have you thought about using several smaller surges instead
DSC02747.JPG have you done anything about protecting/sealing the garage

I was only planning on one surge device per tank/tub but that picture is pretty interesting. Have any more?

I have not done anything to the garage yet. I still have to erect a wall with a door, open up the wall between the laundry room (which will be fun as it is load bearing) and the new space. As far as protection I was planning on using epoxy paint on the walls and possibly the floor. Air cooling/humidity is going to be controlled by a portable A/C unit along with another vent fan driven off of humidistat.

Do you have anymore pics of that facility you can share? What type of containers are those and where do you get them?

OP
OP
steveb

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you given any thought to a raceway style system? If you haven't looked into it, you might want to. Also, you would do very well to read Anthony Calfo's Book of Coral Propogation if you haven't already. It's filled with great ideas.
CJ

The 8'x2'x12" is considered a raceway or are you referring to the ones that are larger and have a divider in the middle? You have pics to show?

I have read Calfo's book about 5 times cover to cover and many times skimming sections - its getting worn out , hi lighted, binding coming loose, put page markers etc. Have also read (multiple times) Practical Coral Farming by Miguel Tolosa, Aquarium Corals by Borneman (several times), Reef Invertebrates by Fenner and Calfo (several times), The Reef Aquarium (volumes 1,2,3) by Delbeek and Sprung (several times) + many other books on water chemistry, marine fish health, etc. etc. Have also read books & articles on culturing rotifers, pods, mysid shrimp, phyto, raising clownfish fry, raising various marine fish.

I have read! :nerd:

Last edited:

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 8'x2'x12" is considered a raceway or are you referring to the ones that are larger and have a divider in the middle? You have pics to show?

I have read Calfo's book about 5 times cover to cover and many times skimming sections - its getting worn out , hi lighted, binding coming loose, put page markers etc. Have also read (multiple times) Practical Coral Farming by Miguel Tolosa, Aquarium Corals by Borneman (several times), Reef Invertebrates by Fenner and Calfo (several times), The Reef Aquarium (volumes 1,2,3) by Delbeek and Sprung (several times) + many other books on water chemistry, marine fish health, etc. etc. Have also read books & articles on culturing rotifers, pods, mysid shrimp, phyto, raising clownfish fry, raising various marine fish.

I have read! :nerd:

I was talking more about the larger ones with dividers, but I guess that might be considered a raceway, depending on how you have the water running. I don't have any pics, but Alpha Corals looks like he has a nice setup. I think he also has a writeup on here about how he did it.

Good to hear that you've done your research!

CJ

OP
OP
steveb

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my wife was getting on to me about it! I would even take them to work with me and read them during my lunch hour. I'm tired of reading I want to implement! Thanks for the info on alpha corals I will search for it.

OP
OP
steveb

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Room

Well I finally got the room built out. I want to thank my wife's uncle Brent who spent part of his vacation helping me.

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

I still need to sand one more time, paint it, get electrical run but its a start. After that I can get to putting in cooling,lighting and frag tanks.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally got the room built out. I want to thank my wife's uncle Brent who spent part of his vacation helping me.

I still need to sand one more time, paint it, get electrical run but its a start. After that I can get to putting in cooling,lighting and frag tanks.

Nice looking room - I cant imagine getting away with doing that in my garage but i will enjoy watching yours!!

OP
OP
steveb

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice addition.

Like troylee said, the baffles in your sump would keep the surge from really mattering.

Thanks - I tested the baffles it didn't really work but it may have been the scale - 5 gallon dump bucket into 20 gallon sump with no tank in between - figure I will just have to play around with it or just try and determine how much on average the system will lose to evaporation in a 24 hour period and automate it with a controller.

OP
OP
steveb

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking room - I cant imagine getting away with doing that in my garage but i will enjoy watching yours!!

It's only 1/3 of the garage... that's the only way I got away with it :wink:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back