Looking for help an setting up a deep cycle battery backup for my return pump.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, is anyone willing to help with the best way to setup a deep cycle battery backup in the safest possible way. I plan to use a 55AH SLA AGM battery connected to an inverter w/ an auto transfer switch. Currently, the only extras I have added are a fuse on the positive wire to the battery and a DC breaker between that and the inverter. There is nothing extra between the trickle charger and battery.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, is anyone willing to help with the best way to setup a deep cycle battery backup in the safest possible way. I plan to use a 55AH SLA AGM battery connected to an inverter w/ an auto transfer switch. Currently, the only extras I have added are a fuse on the positive wire to the battery and a DC breaker between that and the inverter. There is nothing extra between the trickle charger and battery.
If he’s still doing it look into @TheHarold. He has a website and made me one with a custom voltage meter so I know how my battery life is. He recommended a lithium battery in place of deep cycle. They last a lot longer. Very happy with my purchase and customer service from him.

Attachments

• IMG_0708.png
    IMG_0708.png
    892.3 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he’s still doing it look into @TheHarold. He has a website and made me one with a custom voltage meter so I know how my battery life is. He recommended a lithium battery in place of deep cycle. They last a lot longer. Very happy with my purchase and customer service from him.
OK i'll look into that! The reason I had chose an AGM battery is because they are sealed and will not leak anything.

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have 2 x 12VDC - 80AH batteries setup[ in series to create 24VDC
Then use 4 x these Tunze safety connector 6104.500

2 for Tunze steams in DT
2 for return pumps in sump

The power supplies plug in to the Tunze unit,
24VDC or 12VDC is supplied to the connector on the Tunze unit
The Tunze plug goes to the pump controller

The Tunze units switched automatically when the power fails, works like a dream, so easy and is cheap.
12VDC is easy with one battery but the pumps run slower.

I did read where a DT had a power failure, the DT had battery back up internal pumps so was fine, sump cooled down and when the power came back up, the main pump turned on and all the cold water from the sump killed the tank. No I idea how cold the sump was but I like the idea of the sump return pumps running on the back up system to keep everything alive.

1691320112369.png

1691320057005.png

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

check out their back up back up switch. will make your life alot easier!

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

check out their back up back up switch. will make your life alot easier!
I didn't know this existed lol. I went ahead and bought this because it seems the easiest to use. Thank you!

leechlightning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20230922_215733884.jpg
Just put this together, two 50a AGM 12v batteries with a trickle charger, in parallel with the tunze 6105 connector for the 6105 pump, also will add the ecotech battery booster for my vectra s2 return pump when it arrives in a few days, will have to figure the math on how long it will last

batteries were free so I'll be into this for $110

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back