Looking for help with Montipora

Deephouse_jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
I am having trouble with my montipora. I have 2 in my tank, a digitata (bubble gum) and an encrusting (Vino). I will do a 20% WC and they will look really happy and color up. After about 5 days the polyps will recede and the skin starts to bleach and die off. I'll do another 20% WC and they look great and the cycle starts over. I have 2 pictures of my digitata looking really unhappy, the other pictures are of it the next day after a 20% WC. The parameters I list are from the day they look unhappy. I also just got an ICP test back, again I took the samples when the montipora were looking poor. The only thing that came back off was Iodine, it was low. I have begin dosing Kent Marine Tech I (Iodide), slightly below bottles recommendation. I also had an Alkalinity spike around when I got my test. I usually keep my dKH around 8.5, I test daily. I had an accident and spilled some in causing a jump to 10. I don't think this was the issue, definitely didn't help. This issue has been occurring well before that spike.

Does anyone have any ideas?

JBJ AIO 45 Gallon
Aquatic Life T5 hybrid with 2 AI Prime's
(T5's have been off for about 2 weeks, I'm acclimating a Sunburst Anthias and a Potters Leopard Wrasse. Both eating great :) ) <--Again the issue was happening before this change.

Filter Socks
Skimmer
Carbon in a reactor
Dose B-Ionic 2 part and Brightwells Coral Amino

Salinity - 1.025
dKH - 8.6
Ca - 487
Mg - 1400
PO4 - 0.09
NO3 - 5
PH - 7.9

Digitata unhappy.jpg Front View Digitata Unhappy.jpg Digitata after 20% WC.jpg Front View Digitata After 20% WC.jpg

Attachments

• Analyse75995.pdf
    129.3 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
Deephouse_jedi

Deephouse_jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took another look at my ICP test results. My source water, ATO reservoir, showed it had a lot of Silicon.
Silicon729.7 µg/l
Could this be the issue?

OP
OP
Deephouse_jedi

Deephouse_jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if updating this thread will help anyone, I hope it does. I did resolve the issue. It 100% was the iodine. I started dosing and instantly both Montipora healed and colored up. The colors on both are beyond vibrant and these corals are now thriving. I can't believe it was idoine. After all, everything online says its not a big deal. I'm also surprised my salt and WC's weren't supplementing it enough. I have now added Iodine to my weekly water tests. If anyone is wondering your iodine should be at .06. Mine is at .03 even after multiple doses. Everything looks good and I might try bringing it to .06, but I'm happy as is for now.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if updating this thread will help anyone, I hope it does. I did resolve the issue. It 100% was the iodine. I started dosing and instantly both Montipora healed and colored up. The colors on both are beyond vibrant and these corals are now thriving. I can't believe it was idoine. After all, everything online says its not a big deal. I'm also surprised my salt and WC's weren't supplementing it enough. I have now added Iodine to my weekly water tests. If anyone is wondering your iodine should be at .06. Mine is at .03 even after multiple doses. Everything looks good and I might try bringing it to .06, but I'm happy as is for now.

What exactly did you dose?

If it was Lugols, the effect may not actually be iodine itself, but an effect on other trace elements since it may change the chemical form of some of them.

Back