Looking for ideas for new coral

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I could you some help in selecting some coral to fill in my rock work. I have a 46 bowfront all soft and Lps tank. Not looking for anything light demanding as my lights are not that powerfull (2 36 inch Orbit Marine IC Pros sitting directly on top of the tank) and don't want any Zoas
Here are some photos of what I have
20200527_154445.jpg
20200527_160701.jpg
20200527_160731.jpg
20200527_160805.jpg

Here is a list from left to right in the first picture
On the rocks- Duncans, hammer, Blasto Merletti, Long Tentical Leather, discosoma mushroom (Anthrax I think) and a Torch
Sandbed left to right
Gsp on its own rock, Acans and a Blasto Wellsi (soon to be on its own rock)
Any suggestions of coral type and placement would be greatly appreciated.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sort of encrusting Montipora? As long as you keep your eye on these corals they're are pretty easy to control. (epoxy) GL.

OP
OP
Dw79

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some scoly or trachy? They add nice colors to the tank and feeding is fun.
Are Scoly's agressive and how much space do they need around them?

Enerderek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scoly is not very aggressive in my experience. I place mine an inch under my torch and both are fine. Most tanks ive seen have scolies placed everywhere (on rocks, near corals, on sand bed) so I think they're pretty versatile. Cant go wrong with them. Just make sure you keep up the feeding. Here's a good coral guide depending on what type of light and flow you're looking for!

Attachments

• Coral Chart.pdf
    105.9 KB · Views: 103

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at some chyphaestra, they are not as popular but there are some cool colors. They can tolerate some of you lower light areas really well. Might also want to consider leptistrea in the same nich but can be a little more finicky than chyphaestrea. That soft which is on top of your rock will likely get huge, watch the shading. I could not tell if on the left that is a long armed Duncan or an elegance, if an elegance you might not be able to put anything else on that rock. Also consider some ricordia or mushrooms for the bottom, there are multiple colors. I have been seeing some tock anenomes around that look cool and would also do well on the bottom. I have no experience thought so I am not sure how well they play with others.

OP
OP
Dw79

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scoly is not very aggressive in my experience. I place mine an inch under my torch and both are fine. Most tanks ive seen have scolies placed everywhere (on rocks, near corals, on sand bed) so I think they're pretty versatile. Cant go wrong with them. Just make sure you keep up the feeding. Here's a good coral guide depending on what type of light and flow you're looking for!
Thats great, thank you!!!

OP
OP
Dw79

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at some chyphaestra, they are not as popular but there are some cool colors. They can tolerate some of you lower light areas really well. Might also want to consider leptistrea in the same nich but can be a little more finicky than chyphaestrea. That soft which is on top of your rock will likely get huge, watch the shading. I could not tell if on the left that is a long armed Duncan or an elegance, if an elegance you might not be able to put anything else on that rock. Also consider some ricordia or mushrooms for the bottom, there are multiple colors. I have been seeing some tock anenomes around that look cool and would also do well on the bottom. I have no experience thought so I am not sure how well they play with others.
I have been watching the leather and if it gets to big, I will move it somewhere else in the tank. The one on the left is Duncans, so shouldn't be a problem. I have thought about Ricordia in the past, but didn't see one I liked at the time where I get my coral from. I would love to have a rock flower, but don't think my lights are powerfull enough, but hopefully I can upgrade in the future

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been watching the leather and if it gets to big, I will move it somewhere else in the tank. The one on the left is Duncans, so shouldn't be a problem. I have thought about Ricordia in the past, but didn't see one I liked at the time where I get my coral from. I would love to have a rock flower, but don't think my lights are powerfull enough, but hopefully I can upgrade in the future
Rock flower goes where it wants, maybe not where you want. I'd put a toxic green rhodactis, and a red rhodactis next to the other shroom. Ricordea are colorful and easy too, but can get big, 5-6 inches. 2nd the (neon green) birdsnest or bird of paradise stylo, is this pushing your par limit? I like the green birdsnest for its color and vertical attribute for the shroom rock.

OP
OP
Dw79

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flower goes where it wants, maybe not where you want. I'd put a toxic green rhodactis, and a red rhodactis next to the other shroom. Ricordea are colorful and easy too, but can get big, 5-6 inches. 2nd the (neon green) birdsnest or bird of paradise stylo, is this pushing your par limit? I like the green birdsnest for its color and vertical attribute for the shroom rock.
I would love to have a birdsnest, but yes I think it would be pushing my par limit. Orbit marine lights aren't very powerfull. I have 2 of them, but wouldn't want to put one in if it was just going to die off from not enough light

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back