Looking for ideas to utilize my ProfiLux 4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have been very active in the forums the past few days whilst setting up my ProfiLux 4 ultimate set and was looking to get a little more help on what to do next after setting up all the sensor probes and hooking up the power bar and touchscreen.

I currently followed the video online about hooking up the heater to the powerbar and that’s the only thing I have done thus far. I am a little overwhelmed with all the things I will be able to do.. and don’t really know where to start. I’ve heard numerous things about needing different adapters and I just am unsure which directions I follow. I was hoping to get some feedback based off of my equipment on what I need to order to utilize the p4 and how to really start to learn how to use it.

My tank is a 65 gallon with a 30 gallon sump
I have two varios 6 pumps in the sump one running my skimmer and one running my return line and manifold.

I have an Orphek v4 light ( I am unsure if I can use the p4 for this.. almost bought the Mitras)
I have a mp40wqd ecotech * I know there’s an adapter for this.. just unsure if that’s all I need?
I do have a tunze ato that isn’t hooked up because I never set it up correctly and would catch it always running.. could be smart to use that for this application now that I have the p4
I have some random tunze powerhead that is not controllable

I think that’s all the equipment I am running. Plus a heater obviously.. I only am using socket 1 currently and that’s for the heater. Do people plug the p4 into the first socket usually?

I’ve heard stuff about ice cap adapters or something along those lines that allow me hook up my varios I think?

Sorry for wall of text.. had a lot to share :rolleyes:

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

A good starting point would be to use the P4 Resource Guide. In there you will find various topics relating to the things you can do with your ProfiLux. Within each topic are also a part-list which tells you what you will need in order to get setup.

Orphek V4
  • This light does not support 3rd party control
Vortech pumps
  • You'll need the GHL Vortech Controller accessory and a PAB-cable if you want to have the P4 control it.
Tunze ATO
  • We do have some users connecting this ATO to their P4. In this case, it is connected directly to an outlet on the P4 powerbar and controlled by a GHL float or optical sensor. This sensor is placed above the water level and used for turning off the Tunze ATO in case the sump water level gets to the GHL sensor.
Tunze flow pumps
  • If this pump is the 1-10v version, the P4 can control it. We provide a parts list in our resource guide.
General heater use
  • You can connect this to either the S1-S4 outlet. Depending on the size of the heater, it may not be advisable to connect it to the S5 outlet as this one has a separate 2A fuse which can blow if the heater runs over the 2A limit.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

A good starting point would be to use the P4 Resource Guide. In there you will find various topics relating to the things you can do with your ProfiLux. Within each topic are also a part-list which tells you what you will need in order to get setup.

Orphek V4
  • This light does not support 3rd party control
Vortech pumps
  • You'll need the GHL Vortech Controller accessory and a PAB-cable if you want to have the P4 control it.
Tunze ATO
  • We do have some users connecting this ATO to their P4. In this case, it is connected directly to an outlet on the P4 powerbar and controlled by a GHL float or optical sensor. This sensor is placed above the water level and used for turning off the Tunze ATO in case the sump water level gets to the GHL sensor.
Tunze flow pumps
  • If this pump is the 1-10v version, the P4 can control it. We provide a parts list in our resource guide.
General heater use
  • You can connect this to either the S1-S4 outlet. Depending on the size of the heater, it may not be advisable to connect it to the S5 outlet as this one has a separate 2A fuse which can blow if the heater runs over the 2A limit.

Thanks for this Vinny.

I was wondering if you can clarify for me what type of connection is needed for the Reef Octopus Varios 6. I have two of them and believe there’s an ice cap y adapter I can use and I think from there I should be able to control
Both of them with the 1 -10v control box thing you guys carry.

When I buy the vortech controller the only two things needed are the pab cable and then the vortech controller. I didn’t know that it was wirelessly transmitted via the whole setup. Makes stuff a lot easier to understand.

What do people tend to use the S5 outlet for?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Be102 - If your Vortech have the wireless cards in them they become paired to the GHL Vortech controller to control them. All you need is the PAB cable and the Vortech controller.

Bottom of page 4 beginning of Page 5 on the thread below shows how it works also :)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/switching-controllers.316106/page-4

Using the Reef Octopus Varios 6 a 1-10 volt connector on it you need just the cable
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/y-module-cable-icecap.html then you will need to cut off the end and put it into the lbf-ap.
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/lbf-ap/

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Be102 - If your Vortech have the wireless cards in them they become paired to the GHL Vortech controller to control them. All you need is the PAB cable and the Vortech controller.

Bottom of page 4 beginning of Page 5 on the thread below shows how it works also :)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/switching-controllers.316106/page-4

Using the Reef Octopus Varios 6 a 1-10 volt connector on it you need just the cable
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/y-module-cable-icecap.html then you will need to cut off the end and put it into the lbf-ap.
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/lbf-ap/

You mention cutting one end off of the ice cap cable. Could I leave it on and connect both to the breakout box because both my pumps have the 1-10v connection? Do I need two of the boxes? And two cables?

The whole vortech thing is cool that it’s wireless.

Is it one 1-10v breakout box for each item ? Like going forward if I bought a tunze powerhead would I just need another breakout box setup?

Can you explain what the other Powerbars do? I can’t really seem to understand. Like the 6d Powerbars and whatnot.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Be102 - what Tunze pump do you have? Does it have a 1-10 volt connection on it? If so the. You just need the GHL tunze cable to control it. It plugs into the top of the tunze controller, then plugged into a L port. You can also by a splitter for the L port also.

I believe and @Vinny@GHLUSA and @Marco@GHLUSA can help you on this more is this but I believe you could put both into the same breakout box and control both.

The 6d is for a control cabinets where you may have hardwired equipment and want to have the ability to switch it on and off, and needed to be mounted to a power rail to supply power.

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each L port (i.e. L1/2 & L3/4) are Combo Ports. There are 2 channels in one physical port.

The LBF-AP - breakout box provides screw terminals for both channels.

As for tunze - get a Tunze-1 and/or a Tunze-2 cable, and the PL-LYx splitter.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Be102 - what Tunze pump do you have? Does it have a 1-10 volt connection on it? If so the. You just need the GHL tunze cable to control it. It plugs into the top of the tunze controller, then plugged into a L port. You can also by a splitter for the L port also.

I believe and @Vinny@GHLUSA and @Marco@GHLUSA can help you on this more is this but I believe you could put both into the same breakout box and control both.

The 6d is for a control cabinets where you may have hardwired equipment and want to have the ability to switch it on and off, and needed to be mounted to a power rail to supply power.
Each L port (i.e. L1/2 & L3/4) are Combo Ports. There are 2 channels in one physical port.

The LBF-AP - breakout box provides screw terminals for both channels.

As for tunze - get a Tunze-1 and/or a Tunze-2 cable, and the PL-LYx splitter.

will one lbf-ap box work for two varios pumps? Will I also use one icecap y for the both pumps considering it has two 1-10 v inputs and both of my pumps control boxes are right next to eachother?

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it will. Again, each breakout box gives you access to wire in 2 separate 0-10v channels. So if say Channel 1 -> varios#1 & Channel 2 -> Varios#2.
As for the cable, I'm not familiar with the cable.. as long as it has dual input(single physical), dual output(dual physical), then yes...
Then you would just cut the RJ45 connector off, strip the correct wires and tie them down on the terminal block inside the breakout box.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back