Looking for Inexpensive, Colorful, Interesting, & Quick Growing Corals

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have come to appreciate that corals don’t have to be expensive to be colorful, grow fast, and have interesting shapes/textures.

Please share pics and names your non expensive corals! Looking for more ideas! Here are some of mine.

Spongodes

637A8729-AAE0-43E2-AF1D-32BEF83C9B25.jpeg

Toxic Green SPS, Red Serarosa, & Green Monti

4E8A936A-9AD5-4408-A2E7-9087ADF91D5F.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not as many people like Monti Caps like I do but when you mix a few different colors together the result can be beautiful! Easy to frag too, just break off a piece!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite cheap, fast growing corals is a mystic sunset montipora.
I would also add several cheaper zoas onto that list for me. I don't completely understand the fascination with high end zoas, when IMO some of the cheaper ones are just as attractive.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For me:
Bonsai (havent seen this stuff in quite some time for sale)
purple stylo
Poci
Monti plate
chalice

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite cheap, fast growing corals is a mystic sunset montipora.
I would also add several cheaper zoas onto that list for me. I don't completely understand the fascination with high end zoas, when IMO some of the cheaper ones are just as attractive.
IKR, I saw a 3 headed zoa colony online, for $120. It didn't even look that good. I would have taken the $40 one over that.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have anything very collectible for sale for cheap? I'm highly interested....
I don't believe collectable was one of the criteria that was mentioned. If we start talking collectable then I understand why people are willing to spend more on coral frags. I also understand for anyone that is looking at it as an "investment" to sell frags later on.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoying my aquarium and don't really want collectables.

I've been pleasantly surprised and find highly rewarding, growing out frags into decent sized pieces. This red monti was purchased a year ago and was about the size of a silver dollar. Today it's 6 inches wide and spiraling nicely.

1623337632324.jpeg

Juff74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want an Inexpensive, Colorful and Interesting & Quick Porsche, Ferrari or Lamborghini

I too want it all for practically nothing

Totally not the point of the post! Reponses like this are totally unnecessary or helpful. Exactly, why I stopped asking questions on this forum.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have come to appreciate that corals don’t have to be expensive to be colorful, grow fast, and have interesting shapes/textures.

Please share pics and names your non expensive corals! Looking for more ideas! Here are some of mine.

Spongodes

637A8729-AAE0-43E2-AF1D-32BEF83C9B25.jpeg

Toxic Green SPS, Red Serarosa, & Green Monti

4E8A936A-9AD5-4408-A2E7-9087ADF91D5F.jpeg
Not sure if you were looking for a name for that Toxic Green Sps but I believe thats an Anacropora. Also, absolutely beautiful colonies you have there.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally not the point of the post! Reponses like this are totally unnecessary or helpful. Exactly, why I stopped asking questions on this forum.
Hope you weren’t offended by Zoas’ post. I took it as a joke.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you were looking for a name for that Toxic Green Sps but I believe thats an Anacropora. Also, absolutely beautiful colonies you have there.
Thank you! One of my favorites, was very cheap and only a small frag one year ago!

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! One of my favorites, was very cheap and only a small frag one year ago!
I will share pictures of mine once morning comes since its night here. I think I have a similar anacropora. They are relatively cheap here too since they are not as popular as acros and montis. If I were to add on, I’d say the different colour variants of Monti Digitatas, pocilloporas, stylophoras and monti caps are the among the cheapest, hardiest and fastest growing corals for me. Heck, I dont even know why GSP and Xenia cost twice or thrice the price of lower-end sps in my country.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IKR, I saw a 3 headed zoa colony online, for $120. It didn't even look that good. I would have taken the $40 one over that.
The best zoas are the hitch hiking zoas. I would always pick acros that have a couple of zoas that are growing on the same plug. Its really a 1+1 purchase.

Last edited:

Juff74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you weren’t offended by Zoas’ post. I took it as a joke.
More irritating than offensive. In general I have very thick skin, kinda hard to survive 6 years in the military without it lol. I see your point that it could have been a joke and it would been easier to take it as a joke if the tag line wasn't "Quit trying to get a Steak Dinner at McDonald's Value Menu prices...." I have seen people jump om people for just saying they can't afford something looking for an alternative and it was off putting to me. Anyways... I appreciate your thread and I apologize if I took zoa what comment the wrong way. I really enjoy my GSP island and neon green digitata Happy reefing!

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best zoas are the hitch hiking zoas. I would always pick acros that have a couple of zoas that are growing on the same plug. Its really a 1+1 purchase.
I saw this sweet looking $25 frag that had 3 different kinds of zoas on it! I went for my big mushroom instead though. :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back